Fzr 3Tj - Rear Wheel / Swingarm Options

SRADical

Got a build of 3TJ going on and want to run a 5" rear to fit 180 tyre.

A few questions that need answers.

1. It is not possible to fit any O/E wheel in the 3TJ swinger that is capable of running a 1680 tyre, clearing the swingarm and not fouling the chain run.?

2. What swingarms other than 600 SRAD are relatively easy conversions, keep the same approx wheelbase (within say 20mm). I have heard TRX, 1000 EXUP and possibly GSXR K series.

Any thoughts or experience of said mods (or others) gratefully received.

can a 5" rim run a 180? maybe road tyres are different, but dunlop used to say a 4.5" rim you had to run a 155, and 5" a 160, and a 5.5" you could run a 165 (slicks)

There are none that fit straight in, you can fit a 5" Yam wheel in the 3TJ swingarm if you try, but it's not worth it unless you love buggering about with rear brake caliper brackets. The best arm to use (if you want to fit a 5" wheels) is the TRX850, just because the adjusters work well and they're light. You'll need to make the pivot tube narrower but other than that it's pretty easy and if you're intent on using a 180 tyre you can put a 5.5" YZF750/Thunderace wheel in the TRX arm. If you absolutely really had to you could stick a Thunderace arm in the 3TJ :)

• 2 weeks later...

If i remember rightly Suspensionsmith (peace be upon him) used a 5 1/2 tz250 wheel with a 180 in his fireblade/400 hybrid with the standard swingarm. I know its a different engine but its got to be similar chain run to clear the frame.

Have a look in his 'built for go not show' thread if it still exists.

cheers

martrin

Or just do what kayla says which is also good.

If i remember rightly Suspensionsmith (peace be upon him) used a 5 1/2 tz250 wheel with a 180 in his fireblade/400 hybrid with the standard swingarm. I know its a different engine but its got to be similar chain run to clear the frame.

Have a look in his 'built for go not show' thread if it still exists.

cheers

martrin

Or just do what kayla says which is also good.

Spot on Martinh....a 5.5 rim with a 180 tyre fits nicely...clears the standard chain run just and good clearance between the tyre and the insides of the arms...I also machine out the chain adjustment slots so that I can pull the wheel further back for a longer effective swinger....and can also fit a 25mm axle if needed

I am presently working on fitting a 6 inch zx10 rim with a 180 tyre into my blackbird/FZR hybrid....not sure if it will work just yet...its abit of a squeeeeeze :eusa_whistle:

Archived