Bloody Oil Filters...

VanWinkle

set the Blade up tonight to do an oil /filter change, its not been that long ago since the last change but this time round the bloody filter dont want to come off..who the fook invented this bit of bloody rubbish anyway, and how come if you put a filter on hand tight it then resets itself tighter... grrrrr

One of my customers hammered a screwdriver through his oil filter once then bought it to me because it still wouldn't budge.

Because he'd smacked it straight through his crankcase which stuck out t'other side.

I waited till he'd gone before having that particular snigger...

Did you lube the o-ring before putting the filter on?

Sometimes you just need the brute strength approach with a large screwdriver and a hammer,

always make me cringe though!!

ive had lots of success with the socket/hex cup style filter tools for what its worth!

Sometimes you just need the brute strength approach with a large screwdriver and a hammer,

Bet that goes down well at work. :biggrinvk4:

One of my customers hammered a screwdriver through his oil filter once then bought it to me because it still wouldn't budge.

Because he'd smacked it straight through his crankcase which stuck out t'other side.

I waited till he'd gone before having that particular snigger...

Did you lube the o-ring before putting the filter on?

Fucking genious! Rofl Rofl.

Seriously hammering a screwdriver through works but should be last resort stuff. If the filter starts to tear and you rip the top have off, it's cold chisel time, not good. ANd that's if you can get in at the base and it doesn't live in a recess.

Like mentioned. Buy a strap wrench!

I use one of these to remove stubborn ones. I dont like the screwdriver method as you might hit the threaded bit or do what marcaztls mate did.

draper-77592-1-2-square-drive-or-24mm-130mm-capacity-chain-oil-filter-wrench.jpg

I made my own one of these from a length of 1" webbing strap and a 3" length of square tubing. Wrap the webbing round the filter and put a spanner on the bar and hey presto! I do like the look of the Hafrauds pliers though. I wonder how much they are with a trade card?

I always by K&N filters, which have an end to fix a socket to - makes everything soooo much easier! Easier to lockwire too...

K&N for me too :thumbsup:

And the mind boggles at how they work out their discount structure too...

There's something like 50% off spark plugs and car batteries as an example, and about 4p off an eight quid tin of spray paint...

I've asked, and there's nothing they can give me or direct me to which lists the discount structure in enough detail to be useful.

It's a bit pot luck, but sometimes more than worth having and piss easy to get.

And the mind boggles at how they work out their discount structure too...

There's something like 50% off spark plugs and car batteries as an example, and about 4p off an eight quid tin of spray paint...

I've asked, and there's nothing they can give me or direct me to which lists the discount structure in enough detail to be useful.

It's a bit pot luck, but sometimes more than worth having and piss easy to get.

When I worked there it pissed a lot of us off that we weren't (at the time) aloud a trade card and mechanics who we'd never seen before were getting more discount than us. If ur a regular customer the management should be able to sort a card out for u.

Back on topic, I bought a chain wrench from Halfords for about £4 roughly 10 years ago, never let me down.

Archived