Brake Pads For Ductile Iron Discs

szrdave

I just picked up an old-skool PFM disc on ebay, to chuck on the SZR (when it's finished :rolleyes: )

I've been using Bendix MRR pads on the stock disc, and have been impressed road and track. They say they're suitable for use with 'stainless, Brembo or OE iron rotors', but I was wondering if there is an iron disc specific pad I'd be better off using instead?

Only use organic pads on ductile iron rotors. Sintered pads will kill them.

This........^

And be prepared for organic pads and iron discs being initially shite in the wet until they dry and heat up a bit........ had a few "moments" when I ran PFMs on an my previous bike. Blinding in the dry though......

Edit - oh, and I used to use Ferodo CP211 pads with the PFMs

Only use organic pads on ductile iron rotors. Sintered pads will kill them.

lol. simply NOT true.

This........^

And be prepared for organic pads and iron discs being initially shite in the wet until they dry and heat up a bit........ had a few "moments" when I ran PFMs on an my previous bike. Blinding in the dry though......

Edit - oh, and I used to use Ferodo CP211 pads with the PFMs

NOT this....../\

i have been using ductile iron (braketech) rotors for 9 years on my bike. i started using sintergrip st pads, then when i had to change rotor design because i changed calipers i went to ferodo xrac pads.

i have logged thousands of combined miles (street and track) on iron rotors using either ferodos sintergrip st or xrac pads and have NEVER had any wear issues.

in actual fact Jeff from braketech RECOMMENDS those 2 compounds with ductile iron.

lol. simply NOT true.

NOT this....../\

i have been using ductile iron (braketech) rotors for 9 years on my bike. i started using sintergrip st pads, then when i had to change rotor design because i changed calipers i went to ferodo xrac pads.

i have logged thousands of combined miles (street and track) on iron rotors using either ferodos sintergrip st or xrac pads and have NEVER had any wear issues.

in actual fact Jeff from braketech RECOMMENDS those 2 compounds with ductile iron.

The question is being asked about PFMs, and Wal at PFM will confirm organic only to be used on his ductile iron range of rotors.

Braketech website says:

Since there are so many different sintered materials out in the market (with the vast majority specific to stainless steel) we must as a general rule of thumb recommend to our customers that they not use them on their iron rotors as the potential for premature problems is real and potentially expensive.

and:

In final answer to Greg's question regarding our recommendation of the Ferodo SinterGrip ST pads on the AXIS rotors; we've dyno tested them extensively and have discovered no significant abrasion related issues with this combination. After over 200 dyno runs, they didn't distort either. But bottom line when it comes to thermal stress distortion; as noted above, there's no guarantee this won't happen under the right circumstances.

Archived