Car Failed On Emissions...

Alex_H

Engine speed 2145 rpm

CO max 0.30, read 0.60 FAIL

HC max 200ppm read 96ppm PASS

Lambda 0.97 - 1.03 read 1.04 FAIL

That was fast idle, he done it again and it was pretty similar except the CO was at 0.67%, but lambda came in at 1.03 so only just. Natural idle was just in also at 0.49%, the max being 0.50.

This is on my missus's x reg 206 1.4 petrol.

What would you throw at it first out of interest PB massiv? I'm thinking another lambda to start with as its only got one, and also the back box had a slight blow fixed which the examiner said could be a factor, so I've sorted that. Other than lambda or cat I cant think theres much else to go with is there?

My old fiesta did similar last year - hole in back box sealed with exhaust gum = pass

Sounds like its worth a go without buying anything then hey, cheers for that :)

go and cane the tits off it flat out down a dual carriageway in 3rd gear for about half a mile. usually helps!

treat it to new plugs leads and dizzy cap, can make a big difference

had the same problem on a ford probe that i had was a weak spark caused by a dodgy lead sorted the problem out

also try reddex ot similar can also make a difference

worth a try

good luck!!! bloody hate working on cars bike are far easier!!

Be interested to know what the cars own Lambda sensor is seeing, as it sounds abit like two problems, the gas tester in the exhaust tells you what the final output is, but if there is a leak the actual lambda value can be way off due to a leak, but this won't be what the engine management lambda sensor sees, high CO would indicate more a duff cat. If you can get some live data be worth getting it checked out, long term fuel trim and the actual switching values for the lambda would be worth looking at. Chucking components at a vehicle without testing can become an expensive exercise and in some cases can soon out weigh the actual value of the vehicle.

For some vehicles it's worth checking http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Emissions%2017th%20Edition.pdf as some cars have different tolerances from the BET (Basic Emissions Test) be worth checking that the manufacturers is not a little more generous, BMW 118i series is allowed a massive 4 on the lambda, the peugeot in question isn't one of those.

Be interested to know what the cars own Lambda sensor is seeing, as it sounds abit like two problems, the gas tester in the exhaust tells you what the final output is, but if there is a leak the actual lambda value can be way off due to a leak, but this won't be what the engine management lambda sensor sees, high CO would indicate more a duff cat. If you can get some live data be worth getting it checked out, long term fuel trim and the actual switching values for the lambda would be worth looking at. Chucking components at a vehicle without testing can become an expensive exercise and in some cases can soon out weigh the actual value of the vehicle.

For some vehicles it's worth checking http://www.dft.gov.u...Edition.pdf as some cars have different tolerances from the BET (Basic Emissions Test) be worth checking that the manufacturers is not a little more generous, BMW 118i series is allowed a massive 4 on the lambda, the peugeot in question isn't one of those.

If the car doesn't pass the BET then it should automatically go onto a vehicle specific test with the appropriate limits, i always found small (low budget) cars had cats that don't last too well, 10 year old scandanavian motors, Mercs, Jeeps, no problem

Pattern cats are invariably crap but are cheap and will almost always get you through the test

If the car doesn't pass the BET then it should automatically go onto a vehicle specific test with the appropriate limits, i always found small (low budget) cars had cats that don't last too well, 10 year old scandanavian motors, Mercs, Jeeps, no problem

Pattern cats are invariably crap but are cheap and will almost always get you through the test

Thoroughly agree, but I have seen some testers only use the BET!! Yep cheap cats don't last either, but the trouble is the customer is playing the ring round and quote who can get it cheapest not who will actually fix the problem for the next few years to come. Old volvo's always seem to sail the emissions test which is impressive good old 740's and the like,

My GF's 2004 206 1.4 petrol also failed on emissions. I think it was also related to its horrendous fuel consumption, something definately wasnt right with it.

My Brother friendly MOT tester put another car on the emissions machine.

Hey presto, a pass.

Sold the car not long after, hatefull little thing.

My old fiesta did similar last year - hole in back box sealed with exhaust gum = pass

It passed today with little more than a load of silicon chucked at the exhaust leak - don't think it'll be doing the same next year, it was only just in!

Archived