Ignition Condenser

El Gringo

Not so much of the Performance Bike about this but here's one for the electrical wizards,

I need to get a condenser for the points ignition on my Bantam, now being on a non existant budget at present i was wondering if i could use a standard capacitor?

I've done a bit of research and found a couple of bit on the tinterweb that suggest a capacitor in the range of 0.2-0.35 uF and around 600-650V.

I also understand that most condensers will fit most bikes, even car ones but if i don't have to spend £8 on a condenser when i can spend 80p ish on a Capacitor i won't

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

Most of the condensers you can buy of the shelf now are utter shite and last about 30 seconds. Yes you can, and we do, use a capacitor, though I'n not sure what rating you needed. They are much more reliable.

Cheers Superdunc,

Just popped into Maplins and picked up a 1uF 450V Capacitor for the princely sum of 39p, it's got 2 chances and at that price if it doesn't work it's not the end of the world.

Funniest thing was the look on my missus' face when the bloke said 39p, she seemed to think it should be massively expensive for some reason.

Archived