Carbon Fibre And Araldite

Ascalon

I got a carbon fibre clutch cover for me ST4s and one of the aluminium inserts around a screw hole came out with the damn allen stud the last time I had to remove it.

Can I use some araldite to stick it back in or does it need some kind of space age resin to avoid fucking up the carbon fibre?

I am reliably informed that it is made from pre-preg.

Cheers,

A

now one or two .......or closer to the worlds population will proberly disagree with the following, yes you can, try to use 24 hour as its not brittle like the 5 minute stuff, also try to scuff up the area in question & make certain its clean (the 5 "P"s), i dont like a cover over the clutch & would just leave it off (but thats just me)......................... to go off on a little tangent didnt loctite & araldite get developed to put planes together during the 2nd world war (the big problem with loctite was to get a container to seal but not let the loctite go off) . Loctite has there own brand of araldite & its fantastic.................im just having trouble remembering what its number is

I thought araldite is an epoxy? Fibreglass uses a polyester resin which won't bond well to epoxy, the other way round isn't such a problem, as long as the surface is prepped

This would be epoxy on epoxy, so yeah, araldite should be ok

Thansk chaps, I thought the Araldite expoy should be OK, but didn't want to venture before passing by the massif :)

Cheers,

A

I've used Plastex before which seems to work. Cut around it locally so the weave gets a bit exposed and knits into the Plastex.

Ah right, I do some of that magic pixie dust!

Plastex is brilliant stuff.

A

i have just finished using araldite on carbon as i type.

i have also done it in the past and it works perfectly.

Was that on the fairing panel with the slight mark on it we were talking about Blu?

Was that on the fairing panel with the slight mark on it we were talking about Blu?

hey here mate. hope all is going well?

and yes. i just finished half a day modifying it to fit.

most of the araldite (about 6 teaspoons full) went on the seams and tabs to hold the bellypan together.

it was 24 hour (high strength) and i let it sit with lead weights on it overnight and have just now (10 minutes ago) fitted it all up to the bike.

i also had to enlarge some of the fairing bolt holes.......

stay tuned for pics of that and my new braketech rotor.

Mega. Glad you got them. Happy enough to get the rest?

Look forward to the piccies.

yep. they're about as good as could be expected. not perfect, but at least i can make them fit.

a pity that harris hugger can't fit no matter what.

ahh well...........

Well that's good news ;)

So the new Harris hugger doesn't fit? I thought you had that on?

lol. na. the old one is on.

the new one is miles from fitting. the holes are about 25mm off in some places.

the hugger itself is wider than the swingarm bolt holes.

one day i'll take pics .

Oh FFS!!!!!!!!

Gutted.

lol. i was too. that's why i never told you till now. lol.

i'm finally over it and accepted it just wont fit.

harris should really have a proper fitting jig made.

Archived