Recommend Me..

Hendo

Somewhere to get a decent battery for my 2000, 5JJ R1?

Of course I could just google it, but recommendations are better.

Mine has decided to start dumping its contents in the battery tray. Its never getting more than 14.3V at any revs so Im going to put it down to age, as it looks pretty old.

Battery is - GT12B-4.

TIA

Its never getting more than 14.3V at any revs so Im going to put it down to age, as it looks pretty old.

I gather you mean 12.3 volts.. As 14.3v is good charging.. And if the volts do not rise on revving then i would look at your charging system. :icon_salut:

I gather you mean 12.3 volts.. As 14.3v is good charging.. And if the volts do not rise on revving then i would look at your charging system. :icon_salut:

The battery is getting 14.3V when the engine is running, stays at 14.3V at any revs so its obviously not over-charging. It must just be an old battery

The battery is getting 14.3V when the engine is running, stays at 14.3V at any revs so its obviously not over-charging. It must just be an old battery

What does your battery give with engine off? you want 12.4-12.6+

if it is 12.4 when off but is at 14V+ when on idle then your reg/rec is past it.(£50 new)This would cause your battery to get ruined over time.

The output of the reg/rec to the battery should plateau, so it'd start at about 13V at tick over, then come up to about 14V at maybe 4,000 rpm, then flatten off to maybe 14.2V irrespective of revs. If it keeps on rising then it's goosed, and as budget boy says, you'll be toasting the innards of your battery, which is irrepairable. When the bike's not running you'd want to see about 12.5V at the battery.

...so it'd start at about 13V at tick over, then come up to about 14V at maybe 4,000 rpm, then flatten off to maybe 14.2V irrespective of revs...

Its pretty much this. Im putting it down to age, as its deciding to slowly leak acid onto my frame, ever so slightly marking the factory finish. Grrr.

Anyhoo, bought a new battery today from my local Honda dealer, so hopefully all is well with the world again.

Cheers

Shouldn't 14.3 volts be good when gunning it abit? Mine goes up to low 15 volt,but never above and have not have any problems with my battery.You are in trouble if the voltage goes much under 13 volts when running.That is a sure sign the stator has taken an extended vacation.Get a yashimura-I mean yuasa.Those are pretty good.Recommend a sealed one-or gel as some call it:)

If you're hitting 15v then your regulator isn't working properly and you're slowly cooking your battery.

If you're hitting 15v then your regulator isn't working properly and you're slowly cooking your battery.

Maybe I'll look into it,but I adhere to the philosophy 'If it works,don't mess with it'.

Of course, it could be your meter's out of whack?!

Could be,it's in and out like a coma patient:( Maybe put more than 2 pounds for a voltmeter next time ;)

Archived