Custom Paintmix

Mahatma

Hi.Anyone here knowledgeable about paintmix?Was considering painting my bike a very deep shade of purple-almost black,and was wondering:Is it just to take a part black and add a small amount of deep purple to find the correct mixture,or does that not work?To illustrate:was thinking of starting with 100cc black,and add maybe 10cc of purple in stages to find the desired colour.Will that just make it lusterless,or is it feasible?

Thanks in advance:)

You want to do it the other way around.. Start with purple and add black..

if you are painting a bike you will need 1ltr or so of paint deep on how many coats you are doing.

So as an example if i was going to paint a bike i would get 1ltr of purple and 500ml of black.

Split them in half 500/250ml

With the 500ml of purple add 100ml of black and see if you like it, if not add another 50ml at a time. Once you have it mix up the 2nd batch the same.

If you muck up the 1st batch (too much black added) you can add more purple to lighten it again.

Keep notes of what you are adding and you will be fine.

Paint shops are generally willing to muck around mixing paint for you on a Saturday morning. It might be worth just going and telling them what you want and getting them to mix up something to your liking.

I like to spray acrylic personally. Shitloads of thinners to paint for the top coats will get that to gloss off lovely.

Thanks for replies:) Think I'll go and ask the paintshop I plan on useing anyway,just wanted to know if it is doable to an acceptable price which I take it it is from your replies.Thanks again:)

Edit:@BudgetBoy:Why the other way around since I want it almost black with just a hint of purple.Is it because it's easier to judge?Don't doubt your wisdom,just wondering...

If your find your local paint shop, tell them what you want, they'll usually roll their eyes and then hand you a load of colour cards, you pick the one, they can then mix it up for you, takes maybe 10 minutes tops.

Edit:@BudgetBoy:Why the other way around since I want it almost black with just a hint of purple.Is it because it's easier to judge?Don't doubt your wisdom,just wondering...

Ok, not a problem.

If you have all black and add purple you will have to add shed loads to make even the smallest of difference. If you add the black to the purple it makes it easier to darken down the purple as its the lighter colour. iyswim. :icon_salut:

Years ago, I was building a custom Moggy traveller, stop laughing you bastards. Anyway I wanted something similar to the OP.

My painter suggested straignt black with a purple pearlescent toner mixed in. I think we ended up with about 5% toner in the end. The results were fantastic, almost jet black, until the light caught it, and the highlights became a sort of blackcurrent colour.

If you're feeling really brave you could consider candy colours. Basically you put down a black base then spray over a purple lacquer, the more coats of laquer the deeper the colour gets. You can use this to get all sorts of custom effects, but you have to be really consistent with the coverage and number of coats otherwise it goes blotchy.

Thanks barry and superdunc.Will check out with a custom paintshop to see what they can offer and what they think of your idea dunc:)

Edit:Looking at your sig barry,and am wondering:what are you driving these days?;)

Archived