Keep Getting Neutral On R6

stevieweavie

Was at rockingham at the weekend on my carby r6, and when changing down into 2nd for the hairpin I kept ending up in neutral.In the end I had to give up and keep it in 3rd. I've heard 2nd gear is always weak on early r6's, is this a sign mines had it, or is it something else? Any ideas? Could I just be going too far when changing gear, its a race shift pattern that I'm just getting used to.

first thing to check is the detent spring in the gear selector mechanism.

you can access the selector mechanism without having to drop the engine or split the cases. a new spring is a quid or something.

first thing to check is the detent spring in the gear selector mechanism.

you can access the selector mechanism without having to drop the engine or split the cases. a new spring is a quid or something.

This - a mate of mine has just been through this with his R6

Thanks for the perplies, will see what my detent spring is like. What is the weakness with second gear on early r6's, I heard that there could be an issue with it, but what exactly , is it the gears themselves or the selector forks or something else? I contacted nova to see if they do uprated components, and they said they can supply the gears themselves to fit the rest of a standard box

it is similar I think to the problems with the early R1 gearboxes of the same vintage.

it's not the gears themselves that but the dogs (which are the knobbles on the side of the cogs, where the cogs on the same shaft engage with each other depending on what gear). sorry that may be a crap explanation!

the dogs wear, causing the bike to jump out of gear. a not uncommon problem on 2nd and 3rd gear on the R1.

as I understand it, it's once the bike starts jumping out of gear that you start getting wear/damage to the selector forks.

HTH

The detent spring breaking was a very common problem on early R1's. Mine broke in the middle of France many years ago.

Not heard of early R6's suffering similar problems myself but I don't own one of them so maybe not been paying enough attention. That's where I'd be looking first though.

As Monkey says the dogs on the gears do wear and this is what causes the common R1 2nd,3rd gear problem. Again not really heard it being a R6 issue. Maybe R6 owners are better at 3rd gear mingers.................Maybe ;)

Not so common but happened to me was a bit broke off the selector drum so the selector fork couldn't be guided to select the gear. I lost 3rd when happened.

As it's not selecting instead of jumping out of gear I'd be suspecting the spring, possibly a slightly bent selector fork or selector drum issue.

Good luck.

Archived