To Flush Or Not To Flush

stevieweavie

I'm planning on changing the oil in my track/race r6 after every other trackday/ raceday. Should I be using an engine flush each time, and if so should I fill up with just half the normal capacity like it says on the flush instructions? I've done that on cars, but am worried about wrecking my bikes engine. Oh, and am I being excessive changing it so often?

I would say you were excessive flush it as well as changing the oil.What's left constitutes less than 5% of the new oil,so would seem a waste of time and money.

Nah. Oil change every two race days,filter every four. Ish. And flush at the end of the season. Kept my 5sl r6 goin fine.

And if you're just running water in the cooling system then change that every few days use too.

I'd use flush if the bike's been standing for any long periods, ie been sat in a garage for 2 years, other than that, just drop the oil and fill her back up.

Thanks for the replies, will just flush at the end of the season, and will remember to change the water every few meetings too. I was advised (by the lass in the yamah dealer when buying an oil filter) to use semi or fully synthetic oil, anyone got any opinion about this?

to use semi or fully synthetic oil, anyone got any opinion about this?

there's lots of different opinions on this.

choice of oil is very much like tyres, a lot of it just comes down to personal preference.

my preference is to use fully synth, I change the oil every 3000 or so miles, or for a trackday or winter hibernation, whichever comes first. And change the filter every other oil change.

some people say that using fully synth can cause clutch slip, but I've never experienced that. Some people run their bikes on Tesco's value oil. each to their own.

I wouldn't bother with an engine flush if you're changing the oil & filter regularly.

I was told by a bike shop who had just taken on a Yamaha franchise that Yamaha suggested semi synth in the R1 and R6. He was a bit miffed as they'd just bought a shed-load of fully synth for the workshop.

oil choice is very subjective.I usually go for whatever decent brand I can get a deal on.Last time out it was some shell fully synth (in a ZX-9R with 70k, original clutch) which cost me £20 for 4L

Bike runs a bit cooler, and everything is a bit smoother.No hint of clutch slippage.

Archived