Might Be A Daft Question, But Has Anyone Put A Vfr750 Engine In A 3Tj Frame?

Alex_H

As per the title - I know it'd fit happily width ways, just wondering about the rear cylinders. Only asking really as the motors are cheaper than dust on the egay and I fancy something different lol.

Fzr400 mate - beanerno, I've got a 3tj rolling chassis :)

Ah I see,, would be pretty cool, would te frame take the weight?,, maybe an earlie r1 motor? That would be interesting ha

Nah - a VFR engine wouldn't work. The best engine for 3TJ frame is a 4JH Foxeye or the T'Cat (they have nikasil bores but cost more) You'll need:

Engine

Carbs (4JH)

loom (you can mod the 3TJ but a new loom is easier)

downpipes

CDI (4JH)

Top mount plates (from Kayla)

You need to drill the frame on the alternator side for the engine plate and short out the fuel warning light but everything else just bolts up. The front sprocket lines with the rear becuse the crank cases are common. You get 50 to 60% power increase and the convertion could be done in a weekend if you have the parts.

You don't need to drill the frame, but do need to take about 5mm off of the frame where the bolts go through with an angle grinder. Much less drastic sounding than drilling!!

I have done the 3TJ/4JH hybrid, but the idea of a VFR750 engine does sound good and I have a spare frame and enough parts to make a rolling chassis....

This is not good, the last thing I need is more ideas for projects!!

Alex.

Why don't you think it'd work EC? Only thing I could see would be the issue would be the rear cylinders fitting between the frame spars.

I've got a 4jh motor in a box at the mo, in bits, with knackered gearbox shift forks and the crank shells have seen much better days. It's only when I started pricing up the cost of the shells, gaskets and gearbox parts that I started looking at other engines, a vfr motor can be had for less than 100 quid!

Opps - I'd have "drilled" the frame to a depth so I'd know how deep to go with the angle grinder

There's no need, just trim it flush with the casting :)

I have an early vfr 750 engine that I picked up complete for £75. I also picked up an nc30 frame for £25 and a swinging arm for £30. Can you see where this is heading? (the way things are going it will be a retirement project) If you want some measurments from the engine let me know.

Be warned that the VFR engine isn't especially light for its capacity.

Anyone seen one of these conversions? Big twin in rc/nc 30 or 45 chassis?

In the projects section there is an RS250 running an RSV lump.

Guess the real issues come from the height of something like an RSV lump over an NC30 engine. That NC30 V4 is tiny and light.

Saw an NC30 frame with a KTM LC8 lump in it somewhere. No idea if it was ever completed...

Edit - found it was an NC35

RVF990LC8.jpg

Foo's putting a Mille engine into a bros frame, which is very similar to an nc30, but slimmer. I think hawkati's having a go at it too, not 100% sure.

I just happens to have a rolling nc30 track bike, the motor is going back to a mate, was just considering putting something else in there ha,,, hmmm two stoke could be a giggle,, any ideas?

I put one in an NC30, I'll put pictures up when photobucket fixes itself.

That's pretty cool bud, did it ever get finished? And where did you find the motor?

There was a guy in France (near Baritz) who was putting a RD500 into a 3TJ frame and it was going well too.

A 4JH engine isn't to expensive ... if you're in the right place at the right time. If you want some shells I should have some ... and a crank if your's is toast.

There was a guy in France (near Baritz) who was putting a RD500 into a 3TJ frame and it was going well too.

A 4JH engine isn't to expensive ... if you're in the right place at the right time. If you want some shells I should have some ... and a crank if your's is toast.

I bit the bullet in the end, a chap local had a motor so I've had it off him, it means I can actually progress the thing, cheers for the offer though mate! It means I can part out the old one or sell the lot in one go so someone else with more patience can have a go :) .

VFR 3tj will be saved for another day I imagine lol.

I bit the bullet in the end, a chap local had a motor so I've had it off him, it means I can actually progress the thing, cheers for the offer though mate! It means I can part out the old one or sell the lot in one go so someone else with more patience can have a go :) .

VFR 3tj will be saved for another day I imagine lol.

No worries, I have some bits left over from messing about with a 4JH 660cc project. I really should finish it this weekend

660 is where I want to be with this eventually, want something running first though. Which method are you using? Intrigued by the bored Conrod idea I was.

Archived