Bike Not Started For 7 Years!

MonsterMatt

Hello. I sold my 2003 plate Ducati Monster 750 in 2005 to a friend who had the intention to take his motorbike test but he never did so the Ducati has been sitting in his garage and has not been started for 7 years. I have mentioned to him I would buy it off him again but I was hoping you guys/gals could give me some idea how much I would need to spend on it to get it up and running again? The bike had only done a couple of 1000 miles! I would have to take it to a garage for the work to be done on it as I know nothing about bike engines! Thanks for your help. MM

At the least I would of said the belts will need changing plus oil and filters. Fresh fuel and clean out of the system, check the tyres, may well be cracked from not moving(will be past their best anyway)....sure the proper ducati meisters will be along soon

Brake overhaul might be needed. If me. A full service with belt change and all the fluids changed.

:eusa_think: Difficult to say without actually seeing the bike, and more importantly, seeing how it had been stored.

Q. Had anything been done with it, before being sat up for that long?

You're looking at all the basic consumables, so all the fluids and filters; along with flushing out the fuel system.

The belts will most certainly need to be done, but I'd also suggest valve clearances, to be on teh safe side, but also to see if there's been any condensation getting to any of the internals.

Don't forget that you're probably looking at a battery and a pair of tyres as well (fork seals are normally okay, once there's a bit of movement).

The trick is checking everything over and going over all the various 'systems'...

Once recommissioned, take things easy, running things back in and getting things up to temperature... A few extra oil changes'll not do any harm, just to get any damp / rubbish out of it.

G

Thanks for your replys so far. Nothing had been done to the bike before it was left to stand. Nothing had been drained out of it. I think the battery is dead on it.

I think the battery is dead on it.

After 7 years stood id say so..

Anything made of rubber will need looking at IMO. brake seals,tyres,cambelts blah blah.

Change all fluids

Regrease parts that need grease.(headstock ect)

Check all wiring connections as well..

Im now doing a 1200 bandit thats been stood since 2009. And im taking the head off just to make sure there is no surface rust inside as this would score the bore.

take a look in project section.. taking a bike on that has been stood will see your bank account dwindle even more so if you take it to a garage to be done.

Good luck if you decide to do it.

Belts for sure, battery and fuel system is going to need going through, crank it over for a while with the plugs out get some oil round,worry about tyres and cush drive later.

not sure i would bother with headrace bearings, valve clearances or anything else until it was running properly but to be honest your last statement makes it sound like it will be an expensive old do

Where in the world are you? It'd make sense, to me at least, to drop the whole dealer/garage type thing as this will cost you something close to the price of the bike itself. If you were to spend a good hour or so with a note pad, maybe a camera too, you can make sure you're fully aware of all the bits that might be knackered, and then do a shopping list, price the parts and go from there.

Then, utilising the colossal amount of knowledge on here, you spend your time going over the bike bit by bit, bringing it back to its former glory. I'll start you off:

2x 4.5l oil (first to only be run for about 500 miles as a flush) £50

2x oil filters £8

1x air fliter £20

2x spark plugs £8

2x belts £fuck knows

1x pot of LM grease £8

500ml brake fluid £6

fork seals £10

fork oil £10

tyres £260

battery £35

bottle of fuel flush £8

2x tin of carb cleaner £12

2x tin of degreaser £12

Haynes manual £22

fuel filter £12

there you go, tot that lot up as a minimum.

Have a look in the tank with a torch - Monsters aren't rare and if the tank has rusted it would be better to get a secondhand one. Replace the fuel hoses too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived