Rebuld Of Fully Floating Discs.

Alex.

Oh great font of PBForum wisdom, I seek enlightenment....

I have a set of fully floating EBC race discs on my road bike, with removable bobbins, but they now don't move at all even when cold. The performance of the brakes at higher speeds feels a bit lacking, although they do stop reasonably well, but at low speed they are awful. With low constant lever pressure the brakes have varying stopping power, in a brakes/no brakes/brakes/no brakes/brakes manner, any more lever pressure and the brakes work and stop the bike.

Am I right in thinking that fully floating discs need to float to work properly?

Can these discs be rebuilt, maybe with different/modified bobbins, so that they work properly again?

Alex.

I did get two sets of bobbins with the discs, with instructions to swap out after a while, which I did a year or two ago. Is this another set of different sized bobbins?

Last night I did fire off an email to EBCdirect, who I bought the discs from, so I'll see what they have to say.

Thanks Tootall.

Alex.

Well, turns out the EBC have listened to the masses and stopped selling rebuildable race discs! They also do not sell the bobbins anymore either.

While this may be a step forward in quality of product, it does leave me a bit out on a limb, without the available dosh to rectify matters!

What is the problem with the bobbins? Does the rotor expand/contract leaving the bobbins too small and hence too tight? Do the bobbins degrade and freeze up? Can I put the bobbins in my lathe and modify them (either red initial set or silver post breaking set) so that they fit again?

Lots of questions, where will it stop??

Ta.

Alex.

Bit of a bugger with EBC, I must say. :eusa_think:

Have you tried soaking the bobbins in penetrating oil and be given a gentle tap? Sometimes this helps to free them up.

Try taking the original bobbins out clean them up with a copper brush and reassemble - see if it makes a difference.

Well, turns out the EBC have listened to the masses and stopped selling rebuildable race discs! They also do not sell the bobbins anymore either.

While this may be a step forward in quality of product, it does leave me a bit out on a limb, without the available dosh to rectify matters!

What is the problem with the bobbins? Does the rotor expand/contract leaving the bobbins too small and hence too tight? Do the bobbins degrade and freeze up? Can I put the bobbins in my lathe and modify them (either red initial set or silver post breaking set) so that they fit again?

Lots of questions, where will it stop??

Ta.

Alex.

You can get Brembo bobbins & shims & e clips as a rebuild kit.

They might be the same size but you will have to check. If not you could always mill the discs & carriers to match up correctly.

The Brembo bobbin has a 14mm diameter shaft with a 21mm head & the shaft has 6mm of depth to the bottom of the e clip groove.[i have a few spare ones for a Ducati]

Try these guys. http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/cat--Brembo-Brake-Disc-Spares--Brembo+Disc+Spares.html

Hope this helps.

Well, on Friday I took them all apart and cleaned up the bobbins and discs, even used a bit of wet & dry with WD40 to knock the edge off of the corrosion.

All the bobbins now move and they sound like they used to! I've yet to ride her far, but that should be tomorrow. Just riding about behind the garage, the pulsing seems to have gone.

So a bit of garage time seems to have resolved the issue!

Alex.

Archived