Mille Suspenders

Gregorious77

Still not given the Mille a good blast but took her out after I balanced the throttle bodie and notices a horrible feeling when on the brakes in a bend.

I like to trail the front brake deep into bends and my ZX6R was neutral on the brakes, the Mille however tried to sit up and it felt like the rear wheel was trying to undertake the front!!!

I havnt set the sag yet (its on the list) but what do the forumites think is the problem here? tyres? suspender settings?

The tyres are GP racers M front E rear running 33psi F and 36psi R sizes are wrong I think 120/70 and 190/55

Suggestions its a 2002 btw?

The 190/55 was an oe fitting. But they respond better to 180/55.

Dunno - but mine did not handle at all when I got it- it was slow, rolled wider asyou came of the brakes and was generally a poor handling bag of shite.

I took it to cadwell, paid Colin* £45 for some fettling and setup - the bike is transformed. Awesome in fact and works so very well now that it surely cannot be the same bike.

I'll try to find my sheet and post the details - obviously we're not the same, ride different and our bikes might be brothers but they are also 10yrs+ from fresh and we've no idea how much abuse they've had.

Mine handles very well now - and my main comparison is my NC30 that also is setup for me and goes round corners like not a lot else!

*Colin @ 100% suspension. I always thought not to bother...but am now converted.

The 190/55 was an oe fitting. But they respond better to 180/55.

I'll bow to your greater knowledge, but are you sure? Many bikes from this sort of era had 190/50s at the back, not 55s. Swapping to a 180/55 would give you a steeper profile over a 190/50, but less so over a 190/55.

I've had two milles and now have a track only mille.

Have toyed with 180/55 and 190/55 and settled on the 190/55. As you say start with the sag 30mm on the front 35mm on the rear. Then compression and rebound as required to your riding style/weight.

I would also change the fork oil if it hasn't been done in a while. Check steering head bearings etc.

Raise the forks through the yokes to show 4 rings at the top, this puts extra weight on the front for that 'planted' feel. Your pressures are about right, but try dropping down to 31psi on the front.

Archived