Ceramic Exhaust Coating

Harvey Mushman

I've got a naked twin and I'm thinking of ditching the standard can for an Akrapovic but as the bike is brand new I'd like to get some use out of the standard header rather than ditching it for a full system with barely a 1000 miles completed. The OE header isn't stainless and although the bike is less than 2 months old, the pipe work is begining to look shitty and I can't be arsed to spend loads of time trying to keep it looking good so I'm considering using these guys http://www.zircotec.com/ to give it a ceramic coating.

Should I expect any performance benefits to ceramic coating the headers of a bike without it's exhaust faired in, other than corrosion resistance and aesthetics (think Britten V1000 cool)? It's a parallel twin so where pipework is routed I can't see where it might be having an adverse affect on other components on the bike. Waste of time or worth it just for the looks and improvement in durability to the standard mild steel exhaust?

There are theoretical benefits. Basically the hotter you keep the exhaust gas the quicker it exits the exhaust, and improves the scavaging of the cylinder.

I suspect the people doing the ceramic coating would rather start with an unused exhaust header, as the metal has to be perfectly clean for the ceramic to adhere.

Do they do a ming blue coating?

There's another company if you want to shop around, camcoat, based in warrington. I'm sure evilchicken had the exhausts on his bimota done because they were toasting his plums. I know this from pictures of his exhaust, not from inspecting his plums, don't worry.

There are theoretical benefits. Basically the hotter you keep the exhaust gas the quicker it exits the exhaust, and improves the scavaging of the cylinder.

I suspect the people doing the ceramic coating would rather start with an unused exhaust header, as the metal has to be perfectly clean for the ceramic to adhere.

Do they do a ming blue coating?

A theoretical gain is enough for me afterall I do have a penchant for silicone coolant hoses and nitrpgen in my tyres.

They do an Ultra blue which is the colour most similar to that of the Britten V1000's exhaust. Or at least I think it is but then I am colour blind!

I'd maybe avoid colours if you can or really love cleaning. The finish is not smooth and shiny and attracts dirty finger smudges beautifuly. Bastard to clean.

Futher point, taint cheap either.

PJ1 Fast Black high temp exhaust paint / Exhaust wrap.

You could spend the money you save on bling pipes on anodised tat instead :P:D

Edit: what is said naked twin?

Pretty sure I read somewhere that exhaust wrap is the devil!

Can anyone confirm? I was thinking if whacking some on the mild steel headers on my streetfighter but remember reading somewhere (pbmag?) it is actually detrimental to the bikes performance?

I think exhaust wrapping can cause rot under the wrapping itself

What he said, the wrap soaks up water and keeps it next to the mild steel headers causing them to rapidly corrode...

There's another company if you want to shop around, camcoat, based in warrington. I'm sure evilchicken had the exhausts on his bimota done because they were toasting his plums. I know this from pictures of his exhaust, not from inspecting his plums, don't worry.

Yup I got the Bimota's pipes camcoated. They've kept their good looks and my plumbs remain untoasted

Archived