Coolant Conundrum

hoona6

So last step in the overhaul - drain and replace the coolant. Drained, flushed. Refilled. Supposed to take 2.8 litres but buggered if I can get much more than 1.8-2 in there. I've run it up a good few times and seems fine.

Could there be an airlock accounting for that amount of difference? Is it worth re-draining or just seeing how it goes?

Well how will the air escape?? its a pressurized system mate in case you dont know.

It will all come out of there mate.Run it for a bit,top it up, do it again.. The air will be trapped in the engine and other high points so you need the engine to run to force the air out..By taking the cap off allows the air to come out..It might spill over a bit but dont panic its normal.No need to rev the bike..Idle is fine. :thumbsup:

Well how will the air escape?? :facepalm:

It will all come out of there mate.Run it for a bit,top it up, do it again.. The air will be trapped in the engine and other high points so you need the engine to run to force the air out..By taking the cap off allows the air to come out..It might spill over a bit but dont panic its normal.No need to rev the bike..Idle is fine. :thumbsup:

Nicely chap. I shall make it so.

Never had the problem before so never had to address it! :blush:

Nicely chap. I shall make it so.

Never had the problem before so never had to address it! :blush:

Thats why i edited my 1st bit..i was not aware you knew it was pressurized.. i assumed you knew.

Anyhow.. Do that and you should be ok mate.If you dont do it the coolant will end up in your overflow bottle as it has no where else to go.

When i refill i always check (in your case 2.8ltr's) so put 1 ltr in then start the 2nd... until it gets near to the top. Squeeze hoses gently to lower the coolant,start the bike. Fluid will be pushed around and the air can get out.After 1 min,shut bike off and put more coolant in.. If it gets near the top, start the bike again,,1 min later repeat. until all fluid is in the bike.

Job Jobbed.

If its a Honda then you have to "snap" the throttle open to bleed the air. Take the rad cap off, ket it idle on the stand for a minute or two, ten snap the throttle open a couple of times. You should see the air gurgling out.. Engine off, top up and stick th rad cap back on.

If its a Suzuki sometimes there's a bleed point on top of the water pump, just a bolt and copper washer. You just loosen it off to let the air lock out. Forget this step and water pump doesn't work efficiently.

If its a Ducati it's a good idea to lean the bike over to the right a bit to let the air lock in the vertical cylinder out. There's usually a small diameter hose that goes up to the reservoir, and the bike only needs to go over a few degrees, much thr same amount it would if the side stand was on the right.

Archived