Slipper Clutch Fitting?

lorenzo

I'm umming and aahing about fitting a slipper clutch to my bike, if only for the fact that changing down chunks of gears at once without worrying about seeing valves making a bid for freedom is as cool as fuck. The thing is, they're also a bit costly, so I'm looking at 2nd hand ones, one's a yoyodyne, but most are STM ones, which are sold through triumph themselves (it's going on a d675), as they're a good few hundred quid cheaper. However, being 2nd hand I'm probably not going to get any instructions with it and it's not going to be in my haynes, so how hard are they to fit in comparison to a normal clutch and crucially, will a knobber like me be able to set its slippiness up OK?

Why not contact the manufacturer and ask them for instructions before you buy, at worst you get no reply, or you build a library of information on slipper clutches you never buy.

I bought a Sigma one for the R1 second hand off ebay, it didn't come with any instructions.

But Mr Neil Spalding was most helpful. in fact for customer service Sigma get a 10/10 from me.

all I can say is, it totally rocked. on track yes but also on the road, more than I thought it would.

slipper clutches rule.

it was one of the reasons I bought the k6, as it's got one as standard [it's not quite as good as the sigma one though]

I don't know about the other makes, but the sigma one was very easy to fit. it used the OE clutch basket, friction and steel plates.

you could vary the amount of slip if required by thinning out the clutch pack with different steels. But I never found the need, it was perfect.

you will need a clutch holding tool to lock the clutch centre to the basket, so you can undo the centre nut.

well worth getting the instructions though as the torque setting for the clutch centre nut will probably be different [higher] than standard.

<snip> most are STM ones, which are sold through triumph themselves <snip>

Yup, there's a good reason for that ;)

Installation is really no different from a regular clutch pack, the details are actually in the build and setup of the slipper clutch pack.

Even with a secondhand unit, it's worth taking it apart, checking for wear / clearances, etc then reassembling.

I saved myself a headache with my STM clutch, just be getting the bearings and spring (there's a sort of 'spider' spring in the middle) replaced (whoever had it before hadn't built it up properly).

I bought a Sigma one for the R1 second hand off ebay, it didn't come with any instructions.

But Mr Neil Spalding was most helpful. in fact for customer service Sigma get a 10/10 from me.

+1 Mr Spalding did the development time my engine... and Sigma performance are superb (imho)

another vote for sigma here, got one fitted on my gsxr, again it was bought off ebay and although i had instructions i did have to phone spalders for help and even though he knew i hadnt bought it new he was very helpful and talked at length on how to get it set-up perfectly

Sigma clutches are a lot simpler design than the STM ones although I did think the STM one I had was an engineering work of art.

The Sigma I fitted to my GSXR Thou track bike was faultless over the 2 seasons I owned it and easy to fit and set up.

As per the posts above, Neil Spalding was very helpful even though I didn't buy it off him.

Hmm, just got to find the money for one then....

Archived