Hayabusa Header Bolts Have Just Rounded Off...

fran9r

Whist it's wank holiday, I decided to spend some time on the busa.

The headers need repainting, so first job was to unbolt them. The first 3 bolts were no problem, but from them on, it seemes they all wanted to round the allen key kitments in the bolt head. Arse!

I'm wondering if there is anything I can get to use my dremmel to cut through the heads? That would allow header removal, and hopefully enough thread of the bolt to enable me to screw 2 nuts onto them, thus letting me unscrew them.

Any thoughts?

Oh, it looks as though the bolts have been played with before and refitted, so wern't perfect before I started.

So PB massive, any help?

I had this with both my srad's, the first time I busted out the grinder. Second time I got a set of these

http://www.machinema...TC=RV-040214678

hit them on with a hammer and then they grip perfectly. have since had to use them on a rounded engine mount and a couple of others too. Both times was with allen head bolts.

I cant help with the rounded bolt thing, but past experiance has taught me to get the engine red hot if possible before attempting to remove dodgy looking header bolts.

This method will also provide loads of fun everytime you burn your hand :icon_salut:

I had this with both my srad's, the first time I busted out the grinder. Second time I got a set of these

http://www.machinema...TC=RV-040214678

hit them on with a hammer and then they grip perfectly. have since had to use them on a rounded engine mount and a couple of others too. Both times was with allen head bolts.

These are absolutely brilliant for shifting rounded off hexagonal headed nuts/bolts, it never crossed my mind to use them on allen heads though.

What I have used to good effect though are torx head bits, get one that needs a bit of persuasion to fit with a hammer & away you go. If you're not too rushed then it helps to give it a couple of days soaking with penetrating fluid along with some sharp cracks with a hammer & a bit of heat - those pocket butane torches that run off fag lighter gas are good for applying it locally.

Hmm, some good tips there. I'll check out the bolt grip thingies, after I've whacked a torx fitting in (with heat).

Thanks for the pointers.

Cut a slot across the head and use an impact driver/large flat head screwdriver?

Had some success today!

After much mooching about, general swearing and even some face pulling, I started again today...torx fittings were too big for the rounded off hole left, but I managed to find some of Dad's AF fitment allen head sockets, which were just that bit larger. After being smacked with a very big hammer, I managed to get them all out. Happy : )

Snapped the oil cooler in the provess, but that was fucked anyway, and a replacement is on the shelf.

Should get the headers painted tomorrow.

Archived