A Leaking Radiator Just Before The Tt Trip...

silva511

Phatboy has kindly lent me his 7r so I can go with him to this year's TT, but at 84000miles the radiator is giving up the ghost. I've a leak which has failed to seal up with radweld. Leaving it standing still for a few minutes you can see the occasional drop of coolant leaking followed by the odd half-second high pressure blasts of coolant spraying itself all over the front tyre. This truly sucks!

Is Gaffa tape going to have to be the only option since I leave in only a couple of days? Riding it normally is fine (London to Hull no problems), but it's a bit disconcerting if I'm on the mountain mile at 120mph banking it over.

Anyone have any other solutions?

but it's a bit disconcerting if I'm on the mountain mile at 120mph banking it over.

Anyone have any other solutions?

Yes don't go over 119mph and all will be fine :icon_salut:

Araldite. Drain the coolant, clean the area around the leak, then sand it to provide a key, then apply araldite, leave overnite, refill coolant.

A bodge, which might last years, or could fail next week. You need a new rad ideally.

Buy a new rad? How much is a spanker?

Phatboy was curious as well to see how much. Official Kwacker dealer here in Hull quoted me £410.

2nd Hand off ebay is £150ish.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see what I can do.

Phatboy was curious as well to see how much. Official Kwacker dealer here in Hull quoted me £410.

2nd Hand off ebay is £150ish.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see what I can do.

Have you tried the breaker you have there in hull on hessle road, found them useful in the past.

I have in the past used an egg to seal a leaking Rad in an emergency, held for about 6 months, personally I would be looking for a replacement so as not to spoil the party.

If it's just for the TT then I'd be looking at either Dunc or Sie's suggestion of Devcon or Araldite, I've used both before to repair engine casings or radiators which had split and each time the repair got me home. Indeed the starter clutch cover has had a bead of araldite keeping it oil tight for the last 6 months or so...

Liquid metal or k-seal? Or get the ali welding rods you use a blowtorch on, done this before after holing my last 9r's rad, worked fine and after a spray of black paint you couldnt tell

Fixed! For now at least...

1st & 2nd attempt at Chemical Metalling it failed, as the hairline crack just pushed it's way through. 3rd time we used the rest of it and it managed to hold firm. Bit of gaffa tape as a secondary barrier to any spraying coolant and job jobbed!

http://i241.photobuc...1/IMG_05681.jpg

To make things more interesting once that was done, I lost my keys in a field in Glen Helen and got people searching for 3 hours *facepalm*

Archived