Warped Discs !

samk4750

hi all , after a bit of advice on where to go with this cos its pissing me right off !, my bike is an 04 gsxr 750 , circa 14000 miles , it failed its mot last week on front brake disc runout , ie warpped discs , shopped around and bought these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150823512225

arrived well packaged , and look and feel good , fitted them my self , made sure the mating / seating surface was clean

used the old pads cos theyt were only about 500 miles old deglazed them with some emery paper though

pumped out caliper pistons as far as i dare to clean them all up some were reluctant to moove as much as others but all ok after a clean

reasemble it all , gentle braking on way back to mot station , all feels ok

the tester gets it on the rollers and says its only just scrapped a pass because he can see they are new discs if they looked old he would have failed it ! that wiped the smile of my face , and on the way home you could under heavier braking feel some pulsing of the lever and really heavy braking made the whole front end vibrate / judder

any ideas ?

can you fuck a set of discs in 50 odd mile s?

am i missing something obvious ?

did i get a set that were duff ?

is ot my own fault for buying on the cheap ?

thanks !

Sorry to say mate, I bought the same ones for my RGV & they were dreadful. They vibrated like mad & felt awful. I pulled them off & put them in the bin.

I ended up with EBC discs. Bike is now mint on the brakes.

It'd be worth checking that the buttons turn freely before you scrap the new discs - I've had to do a little work with new discs before to make sure the buttons are good

Pop a suitably-sized hex key through the button , and pull it round at an angle to get the button to turn.Repeat on all of them to make sure they're rotating ok then try the discs again

Probably worth stripping the calipers and giving them a going-over too, though

Iv got chinese discs on my motard racebike, I really like em, no pulsing or anything, it might be hit or miss with them and I might have just been lucky.

Iv only used them at one trackday so far, but if they were going to warp, its be during their first heat cycle Id imagine.

spoke to the seller via phone and email , they agree to a refund once they have them back , bloke i spoke to was not paticularly enthusiastic or helpfull though , i can see trouble ahead !!

nb buttons dont turn are they supposed to or not ,? i spent some time on my old discs making sure they were all free then it went and failed for the discs being warped , they were ok till i done that to them !

i bought a duff pair from SBS for my RSV, exchanged them for another pair of duff ones, then got a refund. They were warped from the off.

Customer service was great, surprised they're still selling them though, they must get a sale or return type deal off the manufacturer........?

took em off and threw them back in the post , you could see from the machining marks when they were made and the marks from the pads that a small area on one of the discs was not making contact , totally crap , really annoyed i can do without all the pissing about so bit the bullet and bought some genuine suzuki ones from wheels in peterborough for a very reasonable £230

just finished a rebuild / cleanup on the calipers dust seals in the bin !

lost a bloody caliper to fork leg bolt now though ! i suspect one of the kids is responsible

Archived