Gsxr Front Wheel Fitting Procedure

Dr. Hfuhruhurr

Hi all

Just wonder if there is someone out there who could answer a question for me? Searching the net has not turned up an answer so I thought rather than just reading everyone elses post I would give it a go myself and call on the collective knowledge of the PB Forum!

I have bitten the bullet and am converting my GSXR 600 SRAD to USD K9 600 forks with all the associated bits (750 yokes, R1 radial gold spot calipers and master cylinder, TLS clip ons to help my ageing back, 08 Hayabusa axle and spacer etc)

I am close to having it all together but have a question regarding fitting the front axle/wheel or more importantly the correct order to tighten it all down.

I have the tool to fit in the internal hex of the axle bolt and have the torque setting for the main axle bolt and pinch bolts but just wonder if any one could tell me the correct order its tightened to ensure the wheel is correctly positioned, that the discs sit correctly in relation to the calipers and to make sure I don't accidentally apply any unnecessary force on the bearings or forks.

Hope someone can help, thanks guys

Do you mean for just fitting the front wheel? Or the whole yokes/caliper/forks combo?

If it's just the wheel, i used to fit and tighten the axle, then the inside pinch bolt, follwed by the outside one, then re-check the tension on the inside one. I never had any problems with misaligned wheels/discs.

:thumbsup:

Sorry, yes just the wheel, all the rest is in and close to being ready to roll.

I take it when you say tighten the axle you mean the 22mm bolt in the end of the axle tube? I suppose this will compress the bearings then you just hold the axle in place with the pinch bolts.

You would not believe how long I have spent on the net looking for a simple, straight forward answer like that!

Thanks for your advise, I salute your superior knowledge. Good man :icon_salut:

Sorry, yes just the wheel, all the rest is in and close to being ready to roll.

I take it when you say tighten the axle you mean the 22mm bolt in the end of the axle tube? I suppose this will compress the bearings then you just hold the axle in place with the pinch bolts.

You would not believe how long I have spent on the net looking for a simple, straight forward answer like that!

Thanks for your advise, I salute your superior knowledge. Good man :icon_salut:

Yes, it's been a whle since i had my gsxr an i can't remember what the axle looks like!! I always used to tighten that first, then the pinch bolts.

my way,make sure the insert that is threaded is flush with the outer fork surface,then tighten this up on the pinch bolts,fit wheel and spindle,tighten the spindle to the correct torque setting,then make sure the disks are in the middle on the calipers on the join of the caliper faces,if its all looking good, the tighten the pinch bolts on the spindle side,job done.

Thanks Speedy. Its good to get some advise from you all. I am in the final stages of fitting everything up and the last thing I need to work out are some spacers to get the discs sitting central in the calipers. They won't be central yet but with the wheel is mounted correctly I will still be able to see if they evenly spaced if i compare them side to side. From there it should be a doddle. :thumbsup:

Archived