How Much Difference Does Expensive Brake Fluid Make?

rsv chris

In the continuing saga trying to get my zx10r brakes nearly up to the same brick wall standard as my mille, I have pondered about brake fluid.

The zx10r now runs zx14r calipers and a cbr 1000rr radial MC. I use Halfords brake fluid though. Fresh every year and have never thought that it would effect thing that much.

On track the brakes do once heated up lose a lot of feel and the lever comes very close to the bar. Me no likey.

So should I use some mega expensive putoline or other big brand fluid? Does this improve performance?

It should come with a higher dry and possibly wet boiling point, just make sure you buy it from somwhere that turns over enough stock so it's not been on the shelf for years.

I know on car trackdays the ones that were boiling fluid, were the ones with low levels of brake pad left as the heat is conducted into the fluid better. How's your pads?

Pads are new. SBS ones too.

Don't get me wrong the brakes don't fade horrendously, and I have improved over the initial setup a lot.

I was just wondering if top notch fluid would give a more constant lever feel/position?

Are you running Dot 5.1 from Halfrauds and asking if a named brand Dot 5.1 would work better?

If so I dont know the answer. If you are running Dot 4 then Dot 5.1 would have a higher boiling point.

I use Halfrauds dot5.1 and did so at Portimao on my 2005 ZX10 - no problems with brake fade. Original Tokico calipers with Brembo M/C and braided lines.

I use Halfrauds dot5.1 and did so at Portimao on my 2005 ZX10 - no problems with brake fade. Original Tokico calipers with Brembo M/C and braided lines.

Same as, the only fade I get is when I come back in and stop, as discussed at anglesey this is probably the fluid boiling from the residual heat in the pads/discs. Once they've cooled they are bang on again. Apparently rock oil have a new fluid out that meant to be pretty good. Gonna give that a go next time.

Archived