Slipping Clutch?

Babyjase

I think the clutch is slipping on my 06 fireblade but I just can't believe it would do so after less then 10000 miles. After not being run for a mounts or so, I took the bike for a blast. As soon as I hit 9000 revs the bike would rev it tits off then go back to normal. The thing is it doesn't do it all the time. Is it really time for a new clutch? Or could it be something else?

Maybe. You could pop the plates out and check.

Try changing the oil and filter first. I had some Hein Gericke oil in the Ducati and the clutch started slipping, now I have some shit hot Shell stuff and it's stopped.

Have you done an oil change and used Fully Synth?

If so that'll be your problem.

Only use semi synth.

Or maybe if it's been stood, the plates are a bit gummed..try cleaning them and new oil before buying new plates

Had this on my R1 the first time i got it back on the road after being stood for a few months. I ran it for a week or so with the clutch slipping a bit, then chaged the oil & filter for fresh ones and it stopped.

as has been said, try oil/adjustment first (easy/cheap) if that doesnt work then you will have to take the clutch pack and springs out and measure it to see if it is in spec.

Cheers for the replies guys. I've not changed the oil lately, and being an hydraulic clutch I've checked there's no air in the system. I've not been on the bike today but yesterday I was riding quite late in the evening so no traffic, just every now and again accelerating hard, it would slip. I think I'll change the oil and filter at the weekend and go from there.

Just thought I'd update. Turns out one of the screws that holds the adjustment tab for my ASV levers, was sticking out. This meant it was pushing on the plunger causing it to slip. Thanks for all your help though:-)

Archived