Rusty Petrol Tank.

willbloke

I'm trying to re-commission my KH250 and the petrol tank has patches of rust internally.

The tank is sound structurally , so it's just a case of cleaning it .

Anyone tried the electrolysis method ?

http://www.altelco.net/~jacil/clay/motorcycle/KElecSetup.html

Or one of the acidic treatments ?

And how to keep it clean ?

Keep it brimmed ? (maybe with a drop of 2-T oil in the tank?)

Any ideas welcome !

Cool thanks Heds , missed that , unless anyone else has any good ideas ,electrolysis it is !

I didn't just use electrolysis, I did that initially, and then used a Por15 kit from frosts. Saying that, I too am deeply impressed with how it all looks. I've not actually got round to refilling the tank with fuel yet, but I know Greg was very happy with his when he used just the kit, no electrolysis before hand.

The tank is pretty solid , just that there's some long standing patches of rust internally (been left empty for years).

All the seams are good , just random caca .

I'm wary of a liner unless it's a teabag , which it's not .

Just something that tells me if the rust is still going then sealing it with a liner is just allowing it to grow .

If I can stop the rust , then it may prolong it .

When I say the Por15 lines the tank, it's essentially like paint, you do the leccy stuff to shift some of the rust, the marine clean does more of the same, then there's the prep stuff which etches the surface so it looks like brand new steel, then the por15 is a coating which seals this fresh surface, to save it going rusty all over again. Most paints are either solvent or oil based and hence fuel will break them down, I think this por is fundamentally different in the way that it cures, it goes off on exposure to moisture, so the fuel doesn't eat into it. Obviously, it's designed specifically for this sort of thing, coating fuel tanks, so I'd say it's going to be at least pretty bloomin' good at it.

Cool , thanks Loz.

I'm a bit wary of tank liners , some of the early ones broke up causing more mayhem than the rust , but Por15 does seem to be up to the job.

Just being a cheapskate !

Right , will a cork be ok in place of the petrol tap ?

Will the caustic solution eat it and dump nasty stuff on my garage floor ?

put a handfull of small nuts and bolts or sharp edged small rocks/stones in your tank, then shake till the rust inside loosens.

remove all the material then flush the tank out with some fuel, then again with some metho to finish.

then seal your tank with a sealer.

when your por-15 fails, use caswell tank sealer ---> http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

the caswell is what i used on my very expensive full carbon tank.

the caswell has been flawless.

Archived