Plastic Welding Kits

jaycee

I've welded plastic before by using bits of an old fairing panel and a soldering iron and it came out ok. However, the Katana is somewhat older, more delicate and panels are considerably rarer than those on my SV650 (ie there are NONE out there).

I seem to remember there were kits on the market years ago with little plastic rods that you melted into the fairing cracks once you had Dremeled out a groove for it to lay in. I cannot seem to find anything liek this, all there seems to be is Araldite type epoxies. To me, these are far too brittle for bike plastics and I really don't want any more cracks than there already are*.

Has anybody used, or does anybody know of the type of kit I am talking about?

*having given the Kat a reasonable wash and polish tonight I have come to the conclusion that a partial, if not total, restoration may lie ahead of me. Ah well, it is my mid-life crisis after all :P

i've used the 2 part plastic stuff and can report that it is the dogs happy sack, goes hard in 5 mins and can be shaped or molded really easy watch out though as it goes off in the nossle, use the black stuff and you'll be reet.

I'm going over to see a chap I know in Dumbarton who does this for a living in a couple of weeks. He says he's got a few different methods he can show me.

Archived