Talk To Me About Carbs (Shudder)

jaycee

Right, let's be blunt I hate working on the fiddly things. My Katana's carbs are way out of balance, plus I think they are suffering from

40 000 miles of useage.

Yesterday I was getting a spluttery/misfire type thing at WOT and then suddenly the bike would take off. There's lots of vibes too. Myself and the previous owner tried to balance the carbs last summer but we couldn't get it right for some reason. Myself and Fatfuk are going to have another go in a few weeks time.

Its currently got the original Mikuni 32mm set-up, does anybody know what other bikes used these? Perhaps something more modern (less old?) like Slingshot 750 carbs would fit?

I was going to ask on oldskoosuzuki.com but I can't seem to register for it.

Now as far as I'm concerned, carbs are black magic, prepare for lots of stupid questions to your replies.

First off, make sure they're clean and all set up the same. Pop the float bowl off one of them, only do 1 at a time for reference sake, remove the pilot jet, soak it in carb cleaner, blow the fuck out of it, then reinsert. Same again with the main jet. Now turn it over. If its a CV carb, it'll have a rubber diaphragm with a needle in the middle of it, make sure the plastic thing that the needle sits in bobs up and down easily, and the diaphragm isn't ripped etc. Give everything a general clean out. Do this for all 4. Now set your pilot air screws to stock, usually about 2 or 3 turns out, then refit them.

Now balance the left hand pair, then the right hand pair, then balance the two pairs to each other. Jobser goodun.

Yeah, the rubbers perish and crack with age, one way of testing if they are drawing air is to have the bike on tick over and spray some wd40/carb cleaner/easy start at the rubbers, if the rev's rise, then they are drawing air. hard to fit rubbers can be softened up by using some hot water to make them a tad more plyable.

Slingshot carbs are just as likely to be worn out as yours. But if you do go for the swap, try to get a set of 1100 ones, they're 34mm compared to the 750s 38s (L model sizes). Possibly try Bandit 600?

I've got a set of the Mikuni VM29SS carbs like in the second link posted by Sie which I may be tempted to part with. PM me if you're interested.

Worth checking the emulsion tubes - if they've worn, they'll probably look slightly out of round, and you could get the symptoms you mention

make sure you strip and clean all the parts. As gurninman says, take out the emulsion tubes as these do get blocked. main Jet & Pilot jets are the normal ones people clean,but forget these ones.

Needles wear out as do the emulsion tubes (look for ovaling) Check the needle valves for wear and make sure everything is set to spec.

Take your time in stripping and cleaning.

Then get out the balancer and balance them.

Should be ok.

Slingshot carbs are just as likely to be worn out as yours. But if you do go for the swap, try to get a set of 1100 ones, they're 34mm compared to the 750s 38s (L model sizes). Possibly try Bandit 600?

Only Slabby 1100s have 34mm carbs, Slingy 1100s will be 36 or 40.

Archived