Bike Electrics - Indicators In Particular

Sideshow Pob

Right I'm now in the process of pulling my hair out!!!

Scenario is I'm changing the indicators on a GSXR750K7 to some clever little LED's all round and I've hit a snag.

Fitted all the indicators and resistors as I believe they should go but now, when they flash on and off all the other lights flash too!

Actually, when the indicators are on the other lights are dimmer, when they are off the rest of the lights get brighter.

From what I can tell, the entire loom seems to change voltage with the flasher relay.

I thought it would be an earth fault but I've gone through and checked all major earth connections.

If I disconnect the front pair of indicators it happens and if I disconnect the rear pair it still happens so I don't belive the fault is with a single indicator although could it be an issue with the resistors I suppose?

Does anyone have any idea of where I should look next as I've spent hours on this now and it's driving me mad!

Oh, and I also slightly suspect that the Meta alarm (that doesn't look like it was installed with much care and attention) could be part of the problem.

I've had this problem in the past, quite a few years back, I can't remember how I got around it in the short term, but I do remember that the wire on the resistors themselves broke from all the vibrations soon after, and I went and got myself an LED compatible relay, and fucked the resistors off all together, and it worked fine.

I've just found the relays that work with LEDs so I'm thinking that might be the next thing to try and then it simplifies the wiring and fingers crossed gets rid of the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Simplest is to get an electronic flasher that doesn't rely on load for the flash rate - only a few quid.

Those 'load' resistors are mimicking the 21W that each bulb takes and are small heaters in themselves and an extra potential for problems.

Fortunately, Suzukis probably don't work like most Yamahas - with those you have to get a bit clever with the warning light, as they switch the bulb feeds (e.g. one side is +ve when turning left, the other when turning right).

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update - buy cheap crap and give yourself a headache!

Resistors are in the bin and a flasher unit that is LED compatible is doing a fine job. Also, crappy little LED indicators off eBay for a tenner are a pain in the ar$e too

So all sorted now - thanks for the advice.

Archived