Fitting An Electric Waterpump

Kermit

Hello Forumites,

I've getting the bits and pieces together to fit an electric waterpump to my Laverda.

It gets hot very quickly when idling, although the temperature drops once you start riding.

It's my trackbike and the guage soon starts to rise when you're being held in pit lane. I prefer not to keep turning the bike on and off as the infamous Laverda starter motor takes a lot of effort from the battery.

Anyway, back to the question I wanted to ask.

Should I remove the thermostat when I fit the pump. The Alto Performance boys didn't have one on their race bike and it makes the plumbing easier and neater.

I was thinking about have a switch so that once the bike has been started and warmed up a little

I could turn the pump on.

Is this a sensible idea, or should I leave the thermostat in place? Alternatively, should I just fit the pump so it comes on once the ignition is switched on?

Help and amusing pisstakes wlecome as always.

Kermit

I fitted one to my RVF and was advised to remove the thermostat, it was also wired to the ignition so it started when the ignition was switch on. Sounds dead trick too :biggrinvk4:

Would it be possible to have it wired to the ignition, but have a knob on the dash to vary the pump speed? That way you would have full control of the warm up cycle, then turn it on full for hard use.

I seem to remember reading about electric pumps that came with a thermostatic switch that took the place of the mechanical version.

Yep, i thin it was Marc White that has one with a thermostatic control on there so the speed varies as per the needs of the bike or something similar. So when you're sat there, in the paddock, the bike sweating, the pump works fairly quickly, when you're wazzing around it's much slower as the water's being cooled much more by the air passing the rad. Something like that anyway.

I saw that, but mines like the Davies Craig EBP pump. A much smaller and easier to fit pump. It's about the size of a paper coffee cup and should be much easier to mount (fnarr, fnarr)

I have run an electric pump on my bike since 07, the davies craig ones are crap, i had two of them fail on me. Vw sharan heater system pump is a bosch and is very good. On the race bike I use no controller, Warming takes a bit longer and running temp is 75-80 pretty steadily. No thermostat, remember a relay and a 3 amp fuse.

• 2 weeks later...

I have run an electric pump on my bike since 07, the davies craig ones are crap, i had two of them fail on me. Vw sharan heater system pump is a bosch and is very good. On the race bike I use no controller, Warming takes a bit longer and running temp is 75-80 pretty steadily. No thermostat, remember a relay and a 3 amp fuse.

Like this one? If so, tits a much preferable price to that kit a few posts up!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SECONDARY-ADDITIONAL-WATER-PUMP-Ford-Seat-Volkswagen-/380394699027?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ASharan&hash=item58914a7913

As long as it's a nominally 12V pump and rated for consant use, almost any fluid pump will do.

Even if you could get the thermistor range somewhere near for the voltage range to run the pump, it will probably start to create it's own heat when you try to push a few amps through it.

I suspect a PIC chip or something would be easiest to work with a thermistor.

Or; an LM338 and pot would be easy to rig up, however (and capable of 5A).

Archived