Running On 3 Cylinders, In Need Of Help?

mr ninja

Why would I have petrol in the sump though?

Because your carb was flooding (float not shutting off) causing fuel to be all over the place, including loads of it in your cylinder, getting past the rings and into your sump.

Just keep at it,bugetboy helped me with my carb problems to the extent i had the carbs off and stripped many times and was banging my head against a wall!!!

Take your time and do one carb at a time

I know what this is like, but I have no answers.

I had a thread a while back about my/my dads hornet with exactly the same issue. Was defo an electronics issue. I replaced every single part in the ignition system and the problem was still there. I cleaned and serviced the carbs and no change. I would have kept at it and found the issue but I was working with my dad (which is like trying to put a jigsaw together with a hammer) and I just couldn't take it anymore.

Every time I tried to do the logical next step and eliminate a problem he would insist he knows what it is because of some random logic defying idea that popped in his head (like replacing the spark plugs, despite the first thing we did being fit brand new plugs) and take over.

I gave up in the end because he drives me nuts. bike is still sitting in his garden. When I have the time, I'm going to nick it and fix it myself lol.

keep going and you'll get it in the end. think of it like a build and start from scratch, you have the engine so add fully operational fuelling components, then add fully operational ignition components, control unit etc just don't miss out anything.

If you take it to a garage, they'll spend hours testing and replacing parts too and you'll end up spending hundreds of pounds on it. I can be frustrating when your doing it out of necessity, but try to think of it as a hobby as if you bought the bike like this to restore it. good luck

Thanks Crumpy, feel much better now. The real pisser is each time I do something to it I get excited because initially it runs fine on the choke and off it for a few minutes then arrgghhhh, one lump or two lol.

Got to be the carbs, it runs to well for too long to be electrical, however can't rule out at this stage that it could be mechanical, valve etc. Would be nice if I had a spare set of everything to swap over, it would speed up the process so much quicker!

Logic says its one of the two jobs you had done.

Jets or valve clearances.

Are you OK with checking the valve clearances? if one is a bit tight on clearance then as the valve gets hot and expands the gap gets smaller and could cause a leaking valve. This is why the exhaust valve has bigger clearances.

bit of a pain in the ass to check but not a major job to take the lid off and get in there with some feeler gauges.

I guess you could do a compression test cold then hot!

Archived