Parts Washer Potential?

RealityRSV

i've got a deep fat fryer with rotating basket which isn't needed in our kitchen. could it potentialy find a use in the shed to clean stuff up, or should i take it on the dump run monday?

can you control the temperature? If not, do you really want to boil your parts?

Good point. If it's controllable then use it.

A friend of mine has a small commercial one in the shed he uses for simmering things like carb bodies in lemon juice. Brings them up like they've been soda blasted. He also uses it for degreasing. A little bit of heat makes a hell of a difference.

Good point. If it's controllable then use it.

A friend of mine has a small commercial one in the shed he uses for simmering things like carb bodies in lemon juice. Brings them up like they've been soda blasted. He also uses it for degreasing. A little bit of heat makes a hell of a difference.

Can you tell me anymore about this, as I was debating on getting my TZR carbs soda blasted

temp range on this one is 150 c (mushroom) to 190 c (chips). is this too hot?

would be ideal for emptying bags of dirty bolts, washers, nuts, springs and other small metal parts into.

Can you tell me anymore about this, as I was debating on getting my TZR carbs soda blasted

What else do you want to know?

If you can get them soda blasted - do it. Holty225 of this parish did an old Mikuni for me and it came up brilliantly, but I think he's sold up his kit now. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any PM's on the subject.

Re: the lemon juice. He strips the carbs down to the bare body and degreases them first with paraffin or celly thinners if they're gummed up badly. The lemon juice he gets from a local catering cash'n'carry (his Mrs is in the trade) and it's in 5 litre bottles. It's the concentrated stuff like Jif lemon juice. Then it's just simmered (don't know how long for) and I think he sprays them down with vinegar to neutralise the acid, and washes them off.

Re: the lemon juice. He strips the carbs down to the bare body and degreases them first with paraffin or celly thinners if they're gummed up badly. The lemon juice he gets from a local catering cash'n'carry (his Mrs is in the trade) and it's in 5 litre bottles. It's the concentrated stuff like Jif lemon juice. Then it's just simmered (don't know how long for) and I think he sprays them down with vinegar to neutralise the acid, and washes them off.

Thank you :icon_salut:

I might give that a go one day.

Just rang him for more info.

Basically...

The lemon juice is diluted with water 6:1 (6 water, 1 lemon juice). Heat to a rolling boil then drop heat so it's just simmering. Dunk carbs in for 10 minutes then pull them out and check. DON'T leave them in for hours or they'll turn to dust. Obviously the cleaner you can get them before boiling will help. After they're boiled they take on a dull grey appearance, but if you don't like this then a scrub with an old toothbrush and some WD40 takes some of the dullness away. Any brass parts will tarnish and darken in colour but this hasn't caused him any problems, just remove as much as possible from the carb first.

The vinegar spray is 6:1 diluted with water also, and blow them out thoroughly with compressed air after.

I would not do that with my carbs. Both the lemon juice and vinegar are acids meaning these will etch into your carbs surface.You can only neutralize and acid with something like baking soda.

The acid if left on any part (not completely clean,neutralized,dry) will continue to eat into the alloy on your carbs.

IMO you are much better off having them sonic cleaned as it is safer.If you just want the outside cleaned then have them soda blasted as this will wash away and is harmless to your carbs.

RealityRSV:-

150c will be fine mate. Anywhere between 100-160c is ok.

Eco green non-planet killing tree hugging parts washer fluids are citrus based or contain citric acid.

He restores classic Jap bikes as a hobby and has used the lemon juice trick to clean up aluminium on all manner of things, I guess it works for him.

Eco green non-planet killing tree hugging parts washer fluids are citrus based or contain citric acid.

He restores classic Jap bikes as a hobby and has used the lemon juice trick to clean up aluminium on all manner of things, I guess it works for him.

Yeah i know mate, but most will say you have to naturalize the acid after use. (tree hugger lol i like that)

Just pointing out the potential dangers thats all mate.Not having a dig..

I know its a weak acid but it is still an acid.

It is a good trick though,just not for me. :icon_salut:

snip... Both the lemon juice and vinegar are acids....snip

The acid if left on any part (not completely clean,neutralized,dry) will continue to eat into the alloy.... snip

RealityRSV:-

150c will be fine mate. Anywhere between 100-160c is ok.

what kind of solution do i need then...was thinking diluted vinegar as a solution

what kind of solution do i need then...was thinking diluted vinegar as a solution

Acid is ok as long as you neutralize it.A quick baking soda wash will be fine.if you leave the acid on there it will eat into the part.So IMO best be safe..

Ying & yang..

i guess the best thing to do then is give it a practice batch with some old manky bits before i try anything else. will report back after.

Archived