ssray

Probably going to come to nothing but how would one go about it?

I am assuming mild would be easier to work than stainless, it a twin and i would use an off the shelf(ebay shelf) end can

Ta

Ray

If you can weld stainless, speak to these people, and order a kit of bends etc. http://www.ojzengineering.co.uk/page.php

If you can only do steel, find a friendly tube bending shop for your bends. If your on the south coast I can put you intouch with someone.

Have a look at the team North Bros build thread, there's a good piece on making an exhaust there.

They're mental cheap, Dunc! It's £70 for a pair of Viper link pipes, or I could order something similar up (might have to get one end flared) for less than £10 a side!

Having a TIG welder is easier than having a MIG welder, but it's not impossible to MIG. You could of course use oxy acetylene as well to weld with.

OJZ as Dunc linked too are good for bends. You will probably find (i did) that you don't actually need much if any tube as the bends are quite long and give you excess to work with.

My first attempt many years ago bottom left

4742005326_30702a1d95_b.jpg

My second attempt last year after discovering preformed bends

DR_pipe_full.jpg

We made an exhaust for a mate's Daytona 955i years ago - it sounded awesome, but lost 8BHP :(

We did all the bending / welding at work, using stainless.I think our problem was the bore size was too big.... but that's just a guess because I know nothing about exhaust design

I miss working for a manufacturing company with loads of machines to play with on a friday afternoon

cool ta, will give me something to do at work tommorow, what about bore size etc

What are you building the pipe for, and what other work has been done to the engine?

its a tdm850, no work to the engine, looking around i may buy a set of tdm900 downpipes first and see how near these are to fitting

I know kayla has pipes for the trx850 just released but as the bike was only £750 i dont want to spend £300+ on pipes and a can

I have emailed ojz and will see what they come back with, if i could get the downpipes then that would be a very good start.

Cheers

Ray

Little extra costs I found were getting the collars made for the head studs, and stuff like springs and tabs. I think my system cost me around £90-100 in bends and bits, not including silencer or my time and welding consumables.

Archived