Help Needed Breaking Bike

Harvey Mushman

Don't worry. despite the title this shouldn't be in the pinboard section, besides I don't think theres much demand for ER-6 bits on here anyway. Basically I'm breaking whats left of my bike and need some help.

First question. I've noticed on ebay that the majority of people selling the lock set removed from an ER-6 are including the cdi/little black box thing. Whats all that about?

Question number two. What good is an engine thats cracked where it mounts to the frame, has a smashed oil inspection glass and a holed sump? Should I forget about selling it complete and look to get stripping it apart and if so, what should I be looking for in terms of damage to things like cams, crank, head etc?

Final one for now. Anyone know roughly how much it is to check a frame for straightness/have it straightened? The frame and subframe (rear) on an ER-6 is all one and the subframe on mine is twisted and bent but when building a race bike (Supertwin) most people cut off the subframe and bolt/weld on an aluminium one to save wait. Obviously I'm wondering/hoping the front part of my frame is straight so might have some value other than scrap.

Any help from the wise mechanically minded member os this forum will be much appreciated.

First question. I've noticed on ebay that the majority of people selling the lock set removed from an ER-6 are including the cdi/little black box thing. Whats all that about?

Question number two. What good is an engine thats cracked where it mounts to the frame, has a smashed oil inspection glass and a holed sump? Should I forget about selling it complete and look to get stripping it apart and if so, what should I be looking for in terms of damage to things like cams, crank, head etc?

Final one for now. Anyone know roughly how much it is to check a frame for straightness/have it straightened? The frame and subframe (rear) on an ER-6 is all one and the subframe on mine is twisted and bent but when building a race bike (Supertwin) most people cut off the subframe and bolt/weld on an aluminium one to save wait. Obviously I'm wondering/hoping the front part of my frame is straight so might have some value other than scrap.

1.) I would imagine (without checking) the key has a code in it for which you need the Ecu or the brains..The key with the wrong Ecu might not start the bike..

2.) Break the engine in 2. Junk the bottom and just sell the top as one.You might end up with bits left over.Or sell the engine as one unit.How long do you want to keep hold of bits for,thats what you have to ask yourself.

3.) Some string and a ruler lol. There are places out there where you can have the frame straightened.Google is your friend.

Cheers BB. I suspected the key was coded but couldn't find any info elsewhere.

I seperated the engine and frame last night and after closer inspection, I think the frame is purely scrap. There are dings where the crash bungs took a whack and the rad and exhausts brackets are mangled. Not sure whether to stick it on ebay as the V5 is clean or to weight it in with everything else I've taken off it.

Engine wise I'm undecided yet. Might jst remove the sump and undamaged casing and see where to go from there.

No probs.

Wack the frame on ebay, if t dont sell then weight it in.

Its up to you what you do with the engine mate.. Im sure you will get there.

good luck

Archived