Ducati Cut Out

Tomfoolery

I was riding along Sunday after finishing an on call shift was taking the twisty route home when the bike cut out, warning lights still on.

I checked all the fuses and connectors roadside and all seem fine. Everything else (lights, indicators, horn etc) works fine. I can hear the relay click when I turn the ignition on.

It's definitely not the kill switch as I've checked the continuity.

My theory (based on no evidence), is the alarm/immobiliser. It's a Datatool, but has a manual, key switch that you can deactivate the alarm with which I did when I bought the bike. I suspect this/something in the alarm has failed and is preventing the bike starting/running.

It's the only thing that I can think of that would cut the bike out AND stop it from starting.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

The battery is a GS battery which lives on an intelligent charger and was reading a healthy voltage roadside. The bike has been used daily since October when I bought it. The alarm has not been touched since then.

Sorry to mention it but have you checked the cambelts?

This could explain the lights, cutting out and refusing to start...... :icon_pale:

I haven't bothered trying to bump it. I'll add that to the list of things to do.

I don't understand how the belts could cut it out and stop it turning over?

There's nothing on the button, it won't crank.

I haven't bothered trying to bump it. I'll add that to the list of things to do.

I don't understand how the belts could cut it out and stop it turning over?

There's nothing on the button, it won't crank.

pistons meeting valves can cause an awful mess, it does'ny happen often but I've seen one, it was painful. Just whip the horizontal cover off for a butchers, it will take two ticks for some peace of mind.....

PMSL.. i had the same problem with another bike at the weekend. Press starter and nothing.

That particular bike is either Starter solenoid or Alarm as i tested everything else.

Check earth points.Starter might be stuck,Dirty contacts on starter button...ummmm

Starter relay not working properly.Loose/poor connections on battery... Umm not enought CCA (cold cranking amps) on battery.. load test it.

cant think of anythin else.

Have a look under the tank, there'll be a selection of relays, try disconnecting and giving each one a gentle tap and cleaning the contacts.

My bosses monster packed up for no apparent reason and it was one of these relays. All lights on but nowt on the button. Also have a look and see if the rear light is still working, when we changed the bulb it came back to life for a bit.

Cheers

Chris

Just to reiterate, it cut out whilst riding, so starting system isn't really relevant as that'd just stop it starting the next time I tried to start it.

It was like I hit the killswitch.

Just to add into the mix, the bump start thing is a no go. Have you ever tried bumping a big twin? A few years back we had about 4 of us trying to bump a firestorm, my mate, who's about a big lad on the back, me and Greg pushing down too, so about 50 stone in total, and it'd just lock the wheel up and skid. I suspect Tom's about 10% of our combined weight: it aint bumping.

Not that it's relevant, it's not a starting issue, it's a running issue. Check the belts, but I'd be looking at electrics, especially the alarm.

Just to add into the mix, the bump start thing is a no go. Have you ever tried bumping a big twin? A few years back we had about 4 of us trying to bump a firestorm, my mate, who's about a big lad on the back, me and Greg pushing down too, so about 50 stone in total, and it'd just lock the wheel up and skid. I suspect Tom's about 10% of our combined weight: it aint bumping.

Not that it's relevant, it's not a starting issue, it's a running issue. Check the belts, but I'd be looking at electrics, especially the alarm.

LOL, can't say i have ever tried to bump a twin.. Oh well thats out of the question then.

Well if its a running issue id be doing the same as Lorenzo.. Electrics & Alarm.

I was riding along Sunday after finishing an on call shift was taking the twisty route home when the bike cut out, warning lights still on.

I checked all the fuses and connectors roadside and all seem fine. Everything else (lights, indicators, horn etc) works fine. I can hear the relay click when I turn the ignition on.

It's definitely not the kill switch as I've checked the continuity.

It's the only thing that I can think of that would cut the bike out AND stop it from starting.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Have a look under the tank, there'll be a selection of relays, try disconnecting and giving each one a gentle tap and cleaning the contacts.

Chris' suggestion would be my best guess too. My 750 exhibited the same behaviour as yours (riding along then cut out but dash lights etc still worked).

Eventually diagnosed it to be dodgy relay - I swapped the two relays around and the bike started and ran fine. The relays are about £3 each, and I've not had the problem return since replacing them.

The relay's under the seat on Monsters. How to test:

Does it click when you switch the ignition on? if not, check for voltage at the orange/blue wire from terminal 85 on the relay. If no voltage, check wires between term 85 on relay and the ignition switch, and between ignition switch & 30a main fuse (I would imagine these to be OK as we have dash lights). if voltage is present but the relay doesn't click, assume it to be fucked and replace it.

If it does click, remove it (having first disconnected the battery neg term) and the battery. Connect your multimeter, set to ohms, to 30 & 87 of the relay Then wire the battery directly up to 85 (pos) and 86 (neg). With battery voltage applied, continuity should be shown on the multimeter. If no continuity/infinite resistance is shown when the battery's connected, assume the relay to be fucked and replace it.

Bo selecta.

It was the alarm, points for all who said that (including me :D )

Just traced all the wires, snipped them off, stripped and twisted together and it starts and runs no problem. Now for a tidy...

Archived