Strange Sensation From My Front:cb 900 C

Mahatma

Hi.I have a very strange sensation coming from my front end after riding on it for awhile when going at low speeds.It feels like the tyre is flat,and I have to make constant corrections to hold a line-especially when leaned over.It feels normal at the start,it doesn't come into play until a certain period of driving-noticed it after around an hour of riding.The tyrepressures are correct.My question is:Can this be caused by a failing wheelbearing?Other suggestions welcome since it's abit unnerving riding it in the present condition.

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks for reply.Wasn't sure if you were pulling my chain,but apparently there is such a thing as a headrace bearing.I'm from norway,so am not the most skilled in the english language,but know what it is now :) Will look into it.Is that job usually difficult,or can one plunge into it with reasonable hope for success?

Changing headrace bearings is easy enough if you have a reasonable set of tools and are competent using them.

get the bikes front end in the air (easy with an assistant) and move the bars gently from lock to lock (take off or at least back off steering damper if you have one) if the steering feels notchy around the straight ahead position your headrace bearings need changing

If you're worried about the bearings, as big a pain as it is to get the front in the air to chance the head bearings, I'd just change them anyway for peace of mind as it's a cheap enough job to do: a set of bearings rarely costs more than about £30. Avoid the really cheap ones off ebay, you'll be replacing them a bit too regularly, but places like wemoto do 'all balls' for about £25-30 depending on the bike, and they're decent quality. I'm sure that somewhere closer to you will do the same kind of prices. £50 would probably be enough to have your head bearings and wheel bearings both done, then you know it's sorted.

As for what your problem is, I've got no idea! Sorry.

front end after riding on it for awhile when going at low speeds.It feels like the tyre is flat,and I have to make constant corrections to hold a line-especially when leaned over.It feels normal at the start,it doesn't come into play until a certain period of driving-noticed it after around an hour of riding.The tyrepressures are correct.

Could be fork oil needs changing..When was it last done?

As others have said,lift the front of the bike and move the handlebars from left to right and back.If you feel any notching, change them.Also try grabbing your stanchions above your bottom yoke, and pull and push forward and backwards.If your head bearings are loose it will show.Don't do it by the fork legs as you will get some play (hardly any) in the forks and people get this confused for knackered headrace bearings.

While the front is in the air spin your front wheel.Again listen/feel for and notching.With an assistant holding the bars grab the wheel at a 3 & 9 o clock position and pull and push.Again if you feel any play change the bearings.

Lastly

Check around your fork seals.Pry up the dust cap and have a look underneath.If it is soaked with oil you will need a fork rebuild.Don't get a misting of oil confused with a leaking seal though.If unsure piccys always help.

But from what you said it sounds like the oil in the forks has gone past its best OR you have no/low oil.The reason i say this is you state it is ok in the start.As the oil warms through use it gets thinner.And my guess its this that is causing the vagueness in the front end.

let us know.

Could be fork oil needs changing..When was it last done?

As others have said,lift the front of the bike and move the handlebars from left to right and back.If you feel any notching, change them.Also try grabbing your stanchions above your bottom yoke, and pull and push forward and backwards.If your head bearings are loose it will show.Don't do it by the fork legs as you will get some play (hardly any) in the forks and people get this confused for knackered headrace bearings.

While the front is in the air spin your front wheel.Again listen/feel for and notching.With an assistant holding the bars grab the wheel at a 3 & 9 o clock position and pull and push.Again if you feel any play change the bearings.

Lastly

Check around your fork seals.Pry up the dust cap and have a look underneath.If it is soaked with oil you will need a fork rebuild.Don't get a misting of oil confused with a leaking seal though.If unsure piccys always help.

But from what you said it sounds like the oil in the forks has gone past its best OR you have no/low oil.The reason i say this is you state it is ok in the start.As the oil warms through use it gets thinner.And my guess its this that is causing the vagueness in the front end.

let us know.

Thanks for tip,but if it is,I'll have to go back to the garage which changed the forkseals this winter.If you would have changed the seals,you would have changed the oil too right?Not chuck in the old worn oil,surely...Hate it when it can be multiple things:(

Thanks for tip,but if it is,I'll have to go back to the garage which changed the forkseals this winter.If you would have changed the seals,you would have changed the oil too right?Not chuck in the old worn oil,surely...Hate it when it can be multiple things:(

Well yes you would change the oil when the seals are replaced.Unless its a cowboy outfit.

If they have been done i would say you could rule that out.

It can't be much mate tbh. Check the headset and wheel bearing as stated.

Another thing..How old is your front tyre? Does it have a flat spot in the center as this could cause it to feel vauge in the corners and slow speeds. You don't want it to look like this \_/ it should look like this U iyswim.

A flat spot on the tyre will make it feel like its wobbling at low speeds and feel awful at higher speeds in corners.

Just my input.

Well yes you would change the oil when the seals are replaced.Unless its a cowboy outfit.

If they have been done i would say you could rule that out.

It can't be much mate tbh. Check the headset and wheel bearing as stated.

Another thing..How old is your front tyre? Does it have a flat spot in the center as this could cause it to feel vauge in the corners and slow speeds. You don't want it to look like this \_/ it should look like this U iyswim.

A flat spot on the tyre will make it feel like its wobbling at low speeds and feel awful at higher speeds in corners.

Just my input.

Thanks for tip,but forgot to mention in my post that the front tyre is brand new.Rear tyre also almost new-less than 100 miles.Will go the bearing route to see if that helps.It's such an old bike,so it can be a few things,but bearings is an easy thing to set right if it's that,and I suspect that they have done a fair few miles.

Thanks for help.Apreciate it :)

• 2 months later...

Just gotten round to changing the rear suspencion,and that was what caused the problems.Only problem now is that they are abit on the firmside,but they cost next to nothing (120£),so will change them into better ones (maybe more suited to a 600+ pound MC) in the future when I get some cashflow going.Thanks for help.Just thought I'd give an update:)

Archived