Valve Noise - Rocker Type Vs Shim & Bucket

gsxr renegade

I was doing a bit of work on the mighty Honda of Doom (CB250N) over the weekend and as part of that, I checked the valve clearances as I don’t know the last time it was done.

The CB uses a rocker type valve actuation, as a pose to shim and bucket type (which I’m more used to). After adjusting the clearances so that they were ok, I put the head cover back on and took it for a spin.

Now I don’t know if its just me being paranoid, but they still round quite ‘tappy’ while riding the bike, I can hear it over the sound of the exhaust.

Are the rocker type valves generally a bit noisier than shim and bucket types? I’m a bit worried that in thinking I’ve set the valves correctly, I’ve actually put them out of sync!!

As long as you have set the gaps at the right spec when cold you will be fine mate. But IMO the rocker type one are always noisier then the bucket/shim types. Just one of those things mate.

Just wondering, did you check the clearances after you tightened up the locknuts? There should be no change in the clearance but it may alter just a little.

How about checking the carbs? Now you've adjusted the valves, maybe the carbs need a balance

Yep, made sure the adjuster screw didn't turn while tightening the locknut, made sure the clearance was still ok after it was tight, then rotated the enigne and checked again and it was fine.

Maybe it's just me being paranoid then!

I was thinking about balancing the carbs, the bike has been sat for the last year doing nothing, so they could probably do with a damn good clean as well!

Hmm, maybe time to invest in a set of vaccum guages.

edited for being a spack and not reading your post properly!

Well, the good news is that if they were going to one way or the other, tappy is best: if they're quiet then it means they've closed up.

Archived