Re

Miner

Hi Folks, having car troubles so dusted the CBR6 down yesterday and gave her a wash and cleaned her chain. When I was cleaning the chain I noticed that my rear sprocket was gubbed, teeth worn and some edges broken. Given all the bad luck I had yesteday and this morning gashing my chin whilst shaving... I'm now working from home!

TBF the sprockets have done 10k but the chain only 7k, I'd fitted the sprockets a little prior so kept them when I changed the original chain as I was getting fed up working tight spots out of it. Was young, new to biking and skint at the time... should know better now so wondering:

- What's the average chain life in miles? (ball park figure) - I use Wurth Dry Lube

- Does anyone else replace ally sprockets 2-3 times before replacing chain?

- Would it be inappropriate to keep the chain when time you replace on one of these? (Would get expensive as they are essentially a sacrificial part)

- What sort of useable life do the Renthal hard anodised sprockets have?

Current set up is 15T Renthal lightweight Ni-Cr-Molly steel front, 48T hard anodised rear, 525 Tsubaki chain on CBR600FS1 for cack handed road riding and commuting.

Swaying towards replacing the lot as given that I service the bike myself and it wants for nothing it wont be the end of the world... but keen to gauge opinion on the above. Shame they dont do the twin ring rear sprocket for road bikes, the one on my KTM lasts a treat.

Ok heres my input.

You should always replace the front & rear sprocket at the same time you replace the chain.(IMO)

Push up on the chain in the middle (between the sprockets) with one hand, and then pull on the chain at the rear sprocket. If you can pull the chain away from the sprocket by 1cm or more, the chain is worn out.

Lube the chain every 100 miles after you have ridden the bike.Its no good doing it on a cold chain.Make sure you spray the lube on the INSIDE of the run and not on the top.It will fling off if sprayed on top,wereas inside it will work into the chain/rollers.

Hope that helps.

Archived