Micrometers

VanWinkle

Most of my tools are either damaged or missing after the morning my shed got trashed..Anyway, Im needing a new micrometer or digital venier type callipers and as i cant remember which make mine were I thought i would ask for your recommendations.

So, what you got, How do you rate them?.

I've got a Halfrauds one, it's not going to be the quality of a Snap on version but then it's a fraction of the price

Edit: if you can wait, you'll be able to get it for nearly half the price when Halfords have their next sale.

Im afraid I went for the not too many pennies option and bought one from Adli's..

£8.99, 3 year guarantee and a spare battery should be good enough for what I want it to do.

IMG00352-20120318-1429.jpg

Thanks for the input tho guys.

For micrometers I use Starret, had them for 20 years now and still as accurate as when I bought them. For digital calipers (not digital verniers, pet hate of mine calling them that, Vernier is a measuring scale) I use mitutoyo, best for price versus quality. Plenty of cheaper ones available but the feel on them isnt as good.

Sorry Gixerboy, edited my misuse of the word now.

Just curious as to how accurate a dial caliper is to a digital, surely if it is reading to 0.01mm that is as close as it needs to be for most applications. What resolution are dial calipers?

Dial calipers vary from 0.05mm to 0.005mm depending on how much money you want to spend on. Personally I only use calipers of any kind as a guide. They give you a ball park figure, it is down to the feel of the person using them. I use a mic if things matter.

I wouldnt worry too much about calling them digital verniers, everyone seems to do it, but as I say it is just a pet hate!

Archived