Zx7R - How Do I "hard Wire" The Fuel Pump Relay Open?

toosmooth

Because mine, when plugged in, a) doesn't crank the pump and B) actually stops the bike from turning over on the starter.

I'd like to short it. I heard this is possible, but with a 4 pin connection, I dont know what to do!

I have connectors and wire, I can make a crossover. Do I just chimp it and try different shorts, or will I die if I do that?!

cheers lecky type dudes!

PB

Should you not find out why it is doing it rather than do what you suggest?

Just out of interest... When you turn the bike on and hit the starter does it not turn over? I'm just trying to see if it is in fact your starter relay rather than your fuel relay.

If it is a 4 pin relay, remove the relay from the holder, and you will have 4 slots like this

. I

. I_I

You need to bridge the top and bottom terminals in the holder with a piece of wire with a spade conector on each end. i.e these

I

_

This will make the fuel pump run permanently. Hope that makes sense.

Edit to add, I can't get the formatting right with this poxy forum software grrrr.

If it is a 4 pin relay, remove the relay from the holder, and you will have 4 slots like this

. I

. I_I

You need to bridge the top and bottom terminals in the holder with a piece of wire with a spade conector on each end. i.e these

I

_

This will make the fuel pump run permanently. Hope that makes sense.

Edit to ad, I can't get the fortmating right with this poxy forum software grrrr.

Hi SD,

the 4 pins look more like

I I

I I

And BB, with the fuel pump relay attached the bike doesn't turn over on the starter - with it out, it does. I think therefore the starter relay is ok.

I'm hoping by hard wiring it open, I'll hear the fuel pump cycle, if it doesn't then maybe it's a fried fuel pump that has f**ked the relay (if indeed the relay is f**ked)

cheers guys, help appreciated, lectrickery not my home turf.

Good question, it's very very cheap and dirty Cat B track bike, so I honestly have no idea. I think it's at least a P4, as the air ducts have the marks from a breakers yard on them!

The 4 wires heading for the relay (ignoring little silver bands they all have) are: Black, Red, Black/Red, Black/Blue. Red looks thicker, Black may be thicker.

Does that help?!

Personally would source a wiring diagram to check it is wired as you suspect, it might in fact be a wiring fault causing the problem, and not the relay at all.

Bridge the 2 thicker wires together, they will be the live and earth to the pump.

Something tells me you might have a short.

i would say your relay has the short as its to do with the starter circuit.And when you take it out it works.Replace the relay.

The Black with red tracer will go to your starter switch/starter relay circuit/ecu

Black with blue tracer goes to fuel pump

Red goes to coils & stop switch

Black goes to coils/ecu

You can test your fuel pump by jumping it and watch it pump fuel out.But IMO i dont think its that.I will stick with shorted out relay.

There is a Black with yellow tracer that comes off the fuel pump which goes to ecu/bat/starter relay,rear lights/side stand ect.

Archived