Cheap Shims, Where From ?

Mohawk

Just fitting new reground cams to my own spec & having just done all the valve clearance measuring & removed the shims from the buckets to get their sizes & calculate what sizes I need for the new ones, I now need to get 16 new shims.

Then had a heart attack at the price of the blooming things !

Anyone got a cheap source, or know where I can get a cheap kit from ? Cheapest Hot Cams shim kit I've found is £69+P&P !

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris W.

IM guessing you need all 16 shims as the reground cams are smaller base circle..................have heard cheap shims are poor quality.

Apparently,its to do with the quality of metal used and hardening technique. Maybe a cam grinding firm could do a deal if you contacted them?

Pop down your local friendly bike dealer ( they do exist ) and see if they do exchange shims , even at a couple of quid each your still looking at £30 + but as you say , they are expensive

Thanks guys, by cheap I did not mean rubbish, but at £6 a pop at wemoto or a dealer they are taking the Piss big time. I found a company on Ebay doing them for £2.50 each so much cheaper, phew. Yes cams were base ground, thus requiring thicker shims to get the clearances right. Something I had not thought about is that it is VERY difficult to get an accurate gap reading on gaps bigger than about .5mm in confined bike heads :( The feeler gauges are just too thick to bend easily to allow them to reach the right place ! Anyhoo, new ones should be here tomorrow, so with any luck I'll get it all back together next week, only a week late, but just in time for road test before MoT expires :)

It might be worth someone in the trades time to setup an shim exchange scheme, postage & a small handling charge should be simple to process, you send in your old ones & they ship you the required sizes on a 1-4-1 basis.

Project write up to come in a couple of weeks :)

Cheers

Chris W.

Archived