Converting Damper Rod Forks To Cartridge

Kayla

I'm thinking about messing around with a some R6 forks and putting the insides into a pair of standard (non-SP) 3TJ forks. There are no adjusters on the bottom of the 3TJ forks, they're plain old damper forks with no adjustability at all and SP forks are £ridiculous.

So, is it possible to convert the the gubbins and fork top adjuster to control the compression instead of rebound? That way you could have compression/preload on one leg and rebound/preload on the other :)

these boys do cartridge emulators, which i am told are very good.

http://www.racetech.com/

as for converting to cartridge proper, i am not sure. could you add/weld/glue something on the bottom where the comp. adjuster needs to be?

editted for forgeting to add link....

I'd have a quick word with Maxton as I know that they do this sort of convertion for classic racers, only they hide the adjusters under 'blank' fork tops. They certainly stuff gas cartridges in there as well.

The seperate compression and rebound (presumably in seperate legs) is a bit more of a thorny issue. You might end up being stuck with fixed shim stacks that you'd need to alter to change the compression.

Laurie, Suspension Smith to the bat phone, paging Laurie.

these boys do cartridge emulators, which i am told are very good.

http://www.racetech.com/

They're not or at least not in my experience. Had them in an SV650 years ago and most recently in my ER-6 and didn't really notice the difference.

Gareth at Reactive did a coversion for Rupert Paul of PB which I believe consisted of putting cartridges from a Honda Goldwing into Rupes ZZR1100. Even if you're not planning on forking out (see what I did there?) for an off the shelf kit it would be worth while speaking to Gareth as it could save you from potentially ruining two sets of forks.

The other thing is that Gareth at reactive is a jolly nice man.

Kayla, It can be done, I have Traxxion Dynamics cartridges & they adjust comp on one leg & rebound on the other, but both adjusters are at the top of the legs. The AK20 Cartridge is excellent. I've used the Racetech cartridge emulators to great effect on a couple of bikes, you could always rig up the rebound adjusters on the forks caps to allow you to adjust these without taking the parts out of the forks ! If its of any use, they recommend drilling extra or enlarging the oil flow holes in the damper rod, I didn't do this & thus could still run light oils & the effect was impressive, the forks were so much more compliant. Don't worry if they don't list your model, just find a bike with the same diameter forks & off ya go.

Archived