Old Skool...drum Brake Operation

kwakbiker

Been years since ive had anything with drum brake's but been running a yammy SR125 over winter to save the 9R, anyhow, rear brake started sticking on, out with the old WD40 on the linkage parts, worked for a week but now when she's on she aint coming off. dropped the wheel out today, took apart the shoe carrier but just need some confirmation on how they work, so-you press pedal-linkage moves onto an arm which is bolted to what looks like a gearchange shaft-this goes inside the drum to a plate/wedge which Im presuming should turn forcing the shoes apart into contact with the hub/liner. basically at the mo I cannot get that shaft/wedge to move for love nor money so im guessing its seized.....if it seems a little simple on the description thats cos I is...innit lol

Springs are fine by the looks, cheers for link

and 'cam' would be a more technical word lol

sounds like the pivot shaft, the one that goes from the lever on the outside to the cam on the inside, has seized. It moves when you have a size10 and a system of levers pulling on it, but won't return to release the brake.

Springs are fine by the looks, cheers for link

and 'cam' would be a more technical word lol

Yeah mate, sorry I should have written "Cam". Head is up my arse today so dont mind my mistakes :thumbsup:

Yeah mate, sorry I should have written "Cam". Head is up my arse today so dont mind my mistakes :thumbsup:

Sorry Van, that wasnt aimed at you, aimed at myself with the complete lack of techinical wording in my OP lol

twas indeed the cam spindle/shaft that had seized, trusty hammer bought into use, bit of sanding and greased back up, now all right as rain(whatever the hell that means)

Ta all

I suffered this recently on my City Fly. The pivot shaft has a felt washer which sits in a well in the brake backplate casting, behind the little wear indicator tab, and is supposed to be regularly doused in oil to stop water ingress. It wasn't. And didn't. And so had turned to dust allowing all manner of salty shite to get in and muller the shaft. The shaft is still available from Honda for £13 and the brake hub backplate for £99 *eek!*. I found a complete unit with brake shoes in far better condition than mine, on ebay for a tenner buy it now. So I did. It works fine after I cleaned it up and hit it with moly grease. Remember - it's a steel shaft running through an alloy casting... galvanic corrosion hell :mad: .

I have an SR125 Haynes book here (my Mrs had one) and I've just looked at the rear wheel and brake assembly diagram and the SR appears to have nothing to stop water ingress. It might be worth seeing if there's room to get an o-ring in there behind the wear indicator tab.

Do you want the Haynes manual?

Your right alex, there is bugger all to stop water ingress, now packed out with grease so hopefully that will help. If you dont need it mate that would be great, PM me if you have paypal(grrrrr....but ill mark it as a gift so you dont get the bloody fee's....grrr again) and ill fire over some tokens to cover postage/cost/price

Your right alex, there is bugger all to stop water ingress, now packed out with grease so hopefully that will help. If you dont need it mate that would be great, PM me if you have paypal(grrrrr....but ill mark it as a gift so you dont get the bloody fee's....grrr again) and ill fire over some tokens to cover postage/cost/price

PM incoming...

Archived