Lost Spark Continued!

ant802

hey everyone, just thought i'd post again after trying to find this fault for a while now..................

after rebuilding my zx636 motor and re-installing it, the bike has lost its spark, the bike cranks, fueling works fine, etc, just no spark

these are the things i've checked/changed:

changed plugs, no spark arc between head bolt etc

all coils primary and secondary resistance tested ok and within spec

all coil plugs producing 12v with ignition on

cam position sensor ok

Crank position sensor continuity test ok

battery ok

all earths double checked

swapped ecu's

searched for broken wires etc, all seems fine

Today tried to get a voltage from the Crank position sensor loom plug when cranking (should be 3.2v or there abouts)............no voltage, but have traced wires back to ECU connector and ..............no breaks!!

so as you can see i'm at a total loss on this one............any electrical whizz kids out there?

ideas appreciated people!

Anthony

sorry fellas, should have mentioned, tip over checks out, plus the bike is a race bike, so no sidestand switch etc

does it have a clutch switch, tied in the sidestand safety cut out?

is the kill switch set to 'off'?

Umm Well if it was me i would start with the Kill switch 1st.

It has to be a safety item that is at fault as it cranks over but you get no spark. You also said you have 12v at the coil so you are getting power there.

Check the safety sensors. (tip switch,kill switch,clutch switch etc) And i would put the old ECU back on to do the test.make sure bike is in neutral rather than hold clutch in (in case you do that)

Its either that or you have forgot to connect a wire or damaged one on removing the old engine for the rebuild.

Also check your fuse's for a blown one.

Either way just trace the fault back and you should be reeet. :D

You state you have checked for broken cables.

Have you actually checked for continuity and a suitable low resistance reading with a multimeter on these cables?

Cable breaks are not always visible to the naked eye...

does it have a clutch switch, tied in the sidestand safety cut out?

is the kill switch set to 'off'?

hello, no clutch switch, its just a simple race bike setup, no ignition etc, just a kill switch and tip over switch, thanks

Ant

Umm Well if it was me i would start with the Kill switch 1st.

It has to be a safety item that is at fault as it cranks over but you get no spark. You also said you have 12v at the coil so you are getting power there.

Check the safety sensors. (tip switch,kill switch,clutch switch etc) And i would put the old ECU back on to do the test.make sure bike is in neutral rather than hold clutch in (in case you do that)

Its either that or you have forgot to connect a wire or damaged one on removing the old engine for the rebuild.

Also check your fuse's for a blown one.

Either way just trace the fault back and you should be reeet. :D

hello, yeh this is what i've been thinking now, although would it still crank if the kill switch was knackered? all fuses look good, and yes 12v at the coils, not really much chance of forgetting to connect something, its a kit loom and has minimal connections, so its quite straightforward, plus i must have had that bike apart about 20 times! heh, but i get where u are coming from.

i figured the kill switch must be ok, the bike is wired so the kill switch is the ignition switch, i figured if it was broken, then the bike would get no power whatsoever? is that right?..................apologies, i'm a bit of a noob with lectrics, but i do my best with a haynes and a multimeter!

I've continuety checked the Crank pos sensor and it checks out ok, my thinking was there is power to the coils but no signal............., but then i checked to see if the CPS was getting power and i couldn't find any, even while cranking (peak power test of 3.2v), so i've stripped the loom back looking for a break in those pair of CPS wires, and nothing all the way back to the ECU. I've tried with the tip over sensor disconnected and connected, but i'll do a continuity test on that today hopefully, it is pointing to either something simple though, wierd as i'm so ocd when it comes to unplugging it etc for rebuilds, so i'm sure i've not damaged anything, guess i'll just have to keep looking for now!, thanks for the post

Ant

You state you have checked for broken cables.

Have you actually checked for continuity and a suitable low resistance reading with a multimeter on these cables?

Cable breaks are not always visible to the naked eye...

hey mate, yeh i'll have to get the multimeter going again i think, bit of a novice with electrics though

Ant

hello, yeh this is what i've been thinking now, although would it still crank if the kill switch was knackered? all fuses look good, and yes 12v at the coils, not really much chance of forgetting to connect something, its a kit loom and has minimal connections, so its quite straightforward, plus i must have had that bike apart about 20 times! heh, but i get where u are coming from.

i figured the kill switch must be ok, the bike is wired so the kill switch is the ignition switch, i figured if it was broken, then the bike would get no power whatsoever? is that right?..................apologies, i'm a bit of a noob with lectrics, but i do my best with a haynes and a multimeter!

I've continuety checked the Crank pos sensor and it checks out ok, my thinking was there is power to the coils but no signal............., but then i checked to see if the CPS was getting power and i couldn't find any, even while cranking (peak power test of 3.2v), so i've stripped the loom back looking for a break in those pair of CPS wires, and nothing all the way back to the ECU. I've tried with the tip over sensor disconnected and connected, but i'll do a continuity test on that today hopefully, it is pointing to either something simple though, wierd as i'm so ocd when it comes to unplugging it etc for rebuilds, so i'm sure i've not damaged anything, guess i'll just have to keep looking for now!, thanks for the post

Ant

The kill switch could be faulty.You have to have it set to "Run" for it to fire or it will turn over but not spark.Its a safety item.

It then could be a faulty ignition switch,fuse,broken wire..maybe you dont have the spark plug fully home in the lead or it does not have a good earth on the head (Have you tested all 4 out of the engine?)

You Haynes manual "Should" have a fault finding thing in the back if i remember correctly?

In fact I'm going to PM you :thumbsup:

Ah, the magic of electrical stuff. never an easy to diagnose but i would suggest that you start with the simple stuff 1st, starting with the spark plug and working your way back..B.O.L mate, keep us updated on how things work out.

heh, well i've managed to get a spark from the old girl now, although i'm not too sure what i've done to get one!

went back out to the garage with my spare ECU, the original one on the bike is a kit kawasaki one, my spare is an all singing all dancing 'ignitech' one, not sure if you folks are familiar, anyway put my spare ecu on, re-attatched all the earth, CPS etc put a single new plug in one of the coils and low and behold it sparked, so i thought it must be that my old ECU (kit) was knackered, so i plugged it back in to confirm...............and another spark, so i'm not sure what it was.

I've re-taped all the loom back up, double checked all earths, and put it back together minus airbox and tank, and it sparks on all four plugs.

Like i say its quite a basic setup, ex mss bss bike, so you can't really plug it up wrong or miss anything, you'd have to be pretty inept to do so!, although i can be quite stupid at times!

So after putting it back together is sparking, i reckon it must have been a dodge earth?, or maybe the kill switch?

Thanks to all for posting, and i'll let you know if it runs for the first time tomorrow, hope so, and hope the fault doesn't rear its head again!!

thanks

Ant

• 3 weeks later...

heh, well yes it did run, although the cam chain tensioner is playing up, typical kawasaki top end rattle, so i've ordered an ape manual one, bikes are sailing from nyc to uk over the next few weeks, so i'll sort that once their back on home soil!, .......................its never ending i tell ya!, but yes it fired up pretty much first crank..............

Archived