Single Sided Swingarm On A Zx7R P1

stuntman

Hello chaps (and chapesses) I'm have rather sexual thoughts about fitting a VFR750 SSSA to my ZX7R.

I'm about to take the ninja to bits as it needs a good clean and fork service, I'll probably replace most of the bearings whilst I'm at it as I get them free through work :).

I've done a little research on t'net but I can't really find too much about it.

I'm resigned to the fact I will have to loose the 4-2-1 muzzy Ti system that I fitted last year but hopefully it should cover the cost of some of the conversion.

Does anyone have any one by chance have any guidence they could give on this?

All help will be greatfully recieved

Phase One did this many moons ago, a bike that I'd like to track down. Sadly it was before my time with the team, so I'll have to ask around and check who built it with Russell. I suspect that they used the back end out of an RC30 or RC45, VFR probably the only way to go unless someone who's into RC's has fitted a works arm and has the original sitting around gathering dust.

Thanks MM, I thought so. I'm going to the ninja MoT'd this month then take it off the road for the strip down. I'll pick up a vfr750 swinger this month and try to get a vfr800 6" wheel and see how things line up. I'll let you all know how it goes

Its gonna be heavy compraed to the std swingarm. muzzy raptor bikes ran a single arm but they where magnesium to keep the weigth down.

vfr arms are heavy buggers but it has been done a few times but like you a i cant remember where ive seen it, you could ask the monkeys on redmonkey/7r/ if they got any info, would be a good place to sell your muzzy system aswell as its a purist's sort after exhaust...

theres a company called ram that used to do bespoke single swingers for the 7r in mag or stainless in usa.

I know mechmachex do them and they are a customer of mine so I may have to pop round next week to see if there are any mates rates :)

I really do want to do this as to be honest the bike is worth very little as good zx7r's fetch peanuts really, so I can have this as a toy and if it doesn't turn out how I want it I can always set it back to standard

I wouldn't use the vfr arm, shop around and try and find either an rc30/45 arm, the vfr arm is long by comparison and heavy too.

I know mechmachex do them and they are a customer of mine so I may have to pop round next week to see if there are any mates rates :)

I really do want to do this as to be honest the bike is worth very little as good zx7r's fetch peanuts really, so I can have this as a toy and if it doesn't turn out how I want it I can always set it back to standard

sounds like a plan!!!! wave a packet of hobnobs under their noses to sway the deal... :D

once you start modding the 7r theres no turning back mind, loadsa cheap ways to mod the green meanie....

Thanks MM, I thought so. I'm going to the ninja MoT'd this month then take it off the road for the strip down. I'll pick up a vfr750 swinger this month and try to get a vfr800 6" wheel and see how things line up. I'll let you all know how it goes

the vfr 800 rear wheel is a 5.5" ,the 800 swinger is the way to go as the whole rear end is only a few kilos heavier than the 929 blade plus you have to modify the 800 wheel to fit the 750 arm

The 800 arm though only mounts to the cases not to the frame, so it may be a fitly different design to the 7r. Having said all of that about the weight etc, has anybody weighed a stock 7r arm and wheel; both are ridiculously heavy for what they are.

NC arms are fairly short, so a quick measure up will see if would work. Strenght-wise it should do just fine, it's overengineered for the 400 and actually a bit too stiff side to side..

Sorry for the late reply chaps, I work away during the week and only really get access during the weekend.

I've 'almost' got the 7 ready for the mot so things should hopefully start to happen over the next month or so. I'll keep you chaps informed

The 800 arm though only mounts to the cases not to the frame, so it may be a fitly different design to the 7r. Having said all of that about the weight etc, has anybody weighed a stock 7r arm and wheel; both are ridiculously heavy for what they are.

for the vfr 800 rear wheel and tyre come in at 12 kilos, the swing arm at 15 kilos and thats with all the bearings sprocket caliper ect ,the arm is mounted with a 20 mm bolt and is aprox 270 mm wide and has a central bottom shock mount.

Thanks Oldman! I'm actually looking at the metmachex arm, I sent them an email last week and if I don't get a reply I will be popping in as I work in the unit next door :)

Whoo hoo, I've been given the go ahead by Mrs Stuntman to get a Metmachex arm when I get my insurance settlement :)

Archived