Paint Ideas

Jaybewan

I think it's about time I did something with my ZX6, I've had a wee bit of time to think today and come up with a bit of a plan for the knackered bodywork/paint, I just need a few pointers on a couple of things.

I'm thinking about going for a satin white with some satin black parts on the bike. White upper fairings/tank/front mudguard and part of the rear seat unit with black wheels/bellypan/lower fairing and a bit on the rear seat unit.

I was hoping to use the paint I did my car with due to it being dirt cheap and giving a really decent durable finish. Trouble is, it's designed as metal "all in one" paint so I'm a little unsure how it would work on the bike.

Would I be ok to just use ABS plastic primer on the fairings before using this metal stuff?

It usually acts as it's own primer but I guess it'll need it for plastic.

The wheels currently have that nasty flaking paint that seems to afflict poorly maintained Kwaks (yep, that'll be partly my fault). Would I be able to get away with just sanding this back to a decent smooth finish before using this metal paint?

I think the wheels and tank may not need any primering due to the paint being it's own primer, am I being a bit thick or should I put some primer on anyway just to be safe? (note, my car didn't need primer at all, even on bare metal)

I think that's about it, any thoughts?

Archived