Straightening A Small Ding On A Wheel

drunkn munky

I have a NC29 rear wheel with a small ding facing outwards on th rim, i sure i readf a while ago in a mag about knocking dings in rims straight yourself but i dont have the mag anymore. Does anyone have any tips on doing so?

Hagon, the shock people repaired two of my rims after my moohassive shunt on GSXR750L.

Here

Did a fantastic job too.

GD

And a :thumbsup: for Hagon here;repaired a ding in the front wheel of the R1.

Ive got a place local to me (maidstone motoliner) that can do it but its only my trackbike rim and just fancied saving £70 and having a go myself.

My old bmw had ding around 3inches long, i put some soap on the oside of the rim heated the inside of the rim,with a big blowtorch and when the soap went black the ali had been heated up enough to aneal it and twatted it with a big hammer, job done

Ray

My old bmw had ding around 3inches long, i put some soap on the oside of the rim heated the inside of the rim,with a big blowtorch and when the soap went black the ali had been heated up enough to aneal it and twatted it with a big hammer, job done

Ray

Do not do this please.

To aneal aluminium you need to quench the part in water after you've heated it. To normalise it you re heat as described and let it cool slowly. Frankly I wouldn't be doing either to a motocycle wheel as they are heat treated in a specific way when manufactured, and any DIY process is going to fuck this up.

I have in the past cut out wooden formers for the inside and out side of the rim, and used the aformentioned twat it with a big hammer method.

Archived