New Van - Any Recommendations?

ant802

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new van for racing, preferably long wheelbase, like a sprinter/crafter etc. I've been looking at the reviews online and to be honest I don't think i've found a single make/model without some terrible reviews, my thinking was, buy a Sprinter/crafter, can't go wrong, but even they have some terrible reviews, some doing gear boxes and steering racks etc even at low mileage.

I owned a Citroen Relay 2.0d (don't laugh)! and used it for racing, travelled all over the Uk with minimal problem, although the gearbox started to whine really loud at around 50k, costing me 800quid for a rebuild.

I'm hoping to have around 10k to spend, but would like to get one cheaper if honest, something that is going to be reliable for a long while, plus i'd like to convert it into a proper race van, with bed, kitchen etc.

Ok, well i'll leave it with you, your thoughts appreciated.

Ta v much!

Used to have a old long wheel base Sprinter great van.

My Local Mercedes van dealer told me to stick to the older generation vans as the newer ones did have lots of engine troubles. The older ones will easily do over 400k before require serious attention mine had done 180k and still pulled strong. Obviously service hostory is a must. Turbos are pretty solid only issue I had was the fan motor for the heater had gone and was a bitch to fit and not cheap. Had one clutch and and selector gate on gear box was replaced. They can rust a bit around the arches if not kept an eye on. Oh and power steering pipe cracked and leaked bugger to fit new one but overall main dealer parts were good money exhaust system was about £50!!. There easy to panel out and I even made a fold down bung bed.

Oh and get the door security dead plates not cheap but stops folk popping the side door.

My mate has a Vauxhall 1.9 Navaro? and swears by it drives like a car but to cramped for me.

Another vote from me for the older sprinters, drive great, pull well, apparently bomb proof,

Used them at my old job, they were a joy to drive, never heard any complaints from the managers about problems,

But not being a past owner can't comment on the upkeep myself.

Mate of mine has an old LDV long wheelbase minibus, he's had it a few years now and the only money he's had to spend on repairs was fixing the holes in the fiberglass roof (someone tried to drive under something too short, leaked like a sieve in heavy rain).

They're not pretty though.

mmm

I would say no to a newer style Transit, we have had 2 at work, both bought new over the last 7 years, both ended up with power loss problems, we may have been unlucky, but they both had full dealer history.

As with most diesels, the older ones are better.

mmm

I would say no to a newer style Transit, we have had 2 at work, both bought new over the last 7 years, both ended up with power loss problems, we may have been unlucky, but they both had full dealer history.

As with most diesels, the older ones are better.

Had my 2007 Transit from new , which has been fully loaded & racked out from day 1 & it has done 80k & only needed a light bulb! :)

My previous 2004 Transit gobbled a gearbox at 25k, then went on to 120k with no trouble at all.

I have had a Transit since 88 & love em, although the electrics can cause problems on the LX models. [buy a basic model. ;) ]

I will be buying another new one later this year.

Used to have a old long wheel base Sprinter great van.

My Local Mercedes van dealer told me to stick to the older generation vans as the newer ones did have lots of engine troubles. The older ones will easily do over 400k before require serious attention mine had done 180k and still pulled strong. Obviously service hostory is a must. Turbos are pretty solid only issue I had was the fan motor for the heater had gone and was a bitch to fit and not cheap. Had one clutch and and selector gate on gear box was replaced. They can rust a bit around the arches if not kept an eye on. Oh and power steering pipe cracked and leaked bugger to fit new one but overall main dealer parts were good money exhaust system was about £50!!. There easy to panel out and I even made a fold down bung bed.

Oh and get the door security dead plates not cheap but stops folk popping the side door.

My mate has a Vauxhall 1.9 Navaro? and swears by it drives like a car but to cramped for me.

yeh i'll look into the older sprinters, do you know which model? 311, or 313?, those navaro/trafic's look good, but too small really, thanks for the input though

Ant

Had my 2007 Transit from new , which has been fully loaded & racked out from day 1 & it has done 80k & only needed a light bulb! :)

My previous 2004 Transit gobbled a gearbox at 25k, then went on to 120k with no trouble at all.

I have had a Transit since 88 & love em, although the electrics can cause problems on the LX models. [buy a basic model. ;) ]

I will be buying another new one later this year.

hows the rust situation though? i've seen 3 year old transits that make captain black beards anchor look like new!

but yes, a mate of mine has had one, it drove well and was reliable...............thanks

get one with doors, you'll be amazed how often you'll use them, and an engine too that helps. :tacheemoticonwh7:

:lol::lol::lol:

Get on Ebay. Plenty race campers/ moto cross vans on there for every budget. Surf vans too although they tend to be overpriced for what they are because apparently surfing is 'cool' so that makes the van more expensive.

Have a look on motoforum too. A few on there for sale.

What I would say is buy one already converted. Yes perhaps a little more outlay but worth it(IMO)in the long run.

Dont get a trafic/vivaro/primastar unless you get a dam good warranty. Paid £3k private for mine 2 years ago and have spent £2.5k keeping it running. :eusa_wall:

If you do get one, get the bigger engined version, the 1.9 is the same as in a renault megane and , bahfuckit i cant be arsed to even discuss how shit this van is :) Get a transit or merc

Dont get a trafic/vivaro/primastar unless you get a dam good warranty. Paid £3k private for mine 2 years ago and have spent £2.5k keeping it running. :eusa_wall:

If you do get one, get the bigger engined version, the 1.9 is the same as in a renault megane and , bahfuckit i cant be arsed to even discuss how shit this van is :) Get a transit or merc

lol!, yeah i've read the reviews on those, they seem terrible!..................my condolences mate, i used to drive my relay like it was made of porcelain, but i guess some vans are just utter shite, cheers for the advice, i'll steer clear!

Ant

:lol::lol::lol:

Get on Ebay. Plenty race campers/ moto cross vans on there for every budget. Surf vans too although they tend to be overpriced for what they are because apparently surfing is 'cool' so that makes the van more expensive.

Have a look on motoforum too. A few on there for sale.

What I would say is buy one already converted. Yes perhaps a little more outlay but worth it(IMO)in the long run.

yeh i've seen a few on there, some good price, some bad, plus you have to deal with the poxy 20% VAT in most cases!, my thinking was buy a relatively low mileage older one and convert it myself, but i guess sometimes it just easier to buy one already done, i just hate chasing rust though and older sprinters are usually rotting out!

thanks

Ant

• 2 weeks later...

VW transporter T4 or T5 bud,can get either in lwb. Personally i`d have the late model long nose T4 2.5 tdi,

Get it re-mapped and get more ooomph and great mpg on a run.

Can be pricey to buy but chances are you`ll enjoy it so much it`ll be irrellavant and they do hold their value too.

Archived