New Shock

Hendo

This may be a silly question to those in the know.

Ive just fitted my Ohlins shock to my R1 (as well as my new sports smarts :eusa_dance: )

Now, I know next to nothing about suspension and Ive been on the internet all day looking for information on setting suspension up, and I have found some good pieces of info.

My question is, would this shock have had any specific settings when it was new?

Or should I just put all the adjustments to middle settings (once I have set the sag) and go from there when riding and setting it up?

I will be taking the bike to get set-up at some point in the year, it would just be nice to get a base-line to start with, and maybe learn something along the way.

Cheers

If it was me i would do the following.

Set the bike up for Static sag & Rider sag

Rear wheel

Rider sag about 30-40mm

Static sag 5-10mm

Front wheel

Rider sag 35-48mm

Static sag 25-30mm

When you push on the handlebar/yoke and seat in a downward motion (off stand) the bike should go down and up in the same motion.You don't want the front or rear coming up slower.

Just in case you don't know..

Preload (Spring tension, based on your weight)

Damping (speed the spring squashes and returns to normal )

Compression (advanced damping control, speed the spring squashes)

Rebound (advanced damping control, speed the spring returns to normal after been squashed)

if you set the bike up to your weight then you are nearly ther, it will be just a case of dialing it in to what suits you.Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

A hand book came with my Ohlins shock and that gave me the base settings.

Try searching on the Ohlins site - I found some info there when I wanted a fitting guide for a set of R+T forks.

BudgetBoy - Cheers for the info. I have heaps of stuff on the internet to read through :) Im just going to stick to the basics as you've written so as to not completely confuse myself

A hand book came with my Ohlins shock and that gave me the base settings.

Try searching on the Ohlins site - I found some info there when I wanted a fitting guide for a set of R+T forks.

I bought the shock of ebay, and it came with no manuals or anything. It is in superb (externally at least) condition. It has the remote preload adjuster so it should be a piece of piss to set up the sag.

Ive been on the Ohlins site and can't seem to find anything, hence asking on here. Some of the Ohlins website seems to be under maintanence at the minute.

Anyone on here got an Ohlins on their old R1 and know what the factory settings are at?

What model R1 is it and what model ohlins shock is it?

I have a copy of the ohlins manual for my 4xv ohlins shock I can email to you...

You can email it to me too mate if you wouldn't mind, never got a manual with mine! Wouldn't mind knowing how far away from base settings I've wandered lol.

well I thought I had a copy of the manual electronically but alas it appears not to be the case.

however all is not lost, I've had a word with my mate who bought the R1 and he's going to scan and send me a copy of it in the next day or two.

as soon as I have it, I will forward on. sorry for the slight delay guys

edited to add: he's just sent it through, so you should have both received via email?

Doesn't have the factory settings, but this is the Ohlins set-up guide from their website:

PAGE 1

PAGE 2

PAGE 3

PAGE 4

You can also download the manual for any shock, (which is what Jim's getting you and should have the factory settings I think), but that bit of their site is down for maintenance at the moment..

Archived