Cnc Machining Advice For Two Stroke Head

Scottydog

So I wanted to purchase a few two piece heads from VHM for my bike, but they have told me they are discontinued and if I did wish to order there would be a 10 piece minimum. So when I was in uni many moons ago, I learned CAD using Autocad and Ideas. I still have a copy Autocad 14 which does 3D and I found I can convert the files to DXF using my work Autocad LT 2011, which unfortunately isn't the full version with 3D. A friend next door has a full on CNC machine and can do the job, just hope the price he quotes will be fair.

He doesn't have the material, but I think I want to source it myself so I can give him the file and the material. He just has to set it up and put the machine to work. He did say if I want the top side done, it'll "get expensive" as he has to secure it and align it. I'm thinking it's just being a bit lazy on his part.

I basically copied the design in the photo below, so if I don't machine the top contours, then it has to gain some thickness. I did think to modify the design to use a short reach plug vs a long reach plug which would make it possible to reduce the height.

So questions are:

what spec aluminium to purchase?

what size groove to machine for o-rings?

what would be reasonable costs for doing 1 - 3 heads? Design and material provided?

are there any forum members who do CNC work in case it opens up other machinging options for me?

IMG_1822.jpg

Hi,

Material: HE30 also known as 6082 in T6 condition. Very available at good cost, good corosion resistance or can be anodised.

O-rings should be compressed 25% of the cross section in one direction. small clearance to "width" of groove in other direction. I assume there is is 1 for the insert and 1 for the head?

I (we) can do it for you. You wouldn't have to mess about with dxf 2D nonsense as we would read a 3D iges file directly into the CAM package. Its exactly the type of job we want to do. What engine is it for?

It looks pretty straight forward, so if you send me an iges I'll let you know a cost.

Ivan

Hi,

Material: HE30 also known as 6082 in T6 condition. Very available at good cost, good corosion resistance or can be anodised.

O-rings should be compressed 25% of the cross section in one direction. small clearance to "width" of groove in other direction. I assume there is is 1 for the insert and 1 for the head?

I (we) can do it for you. You wouldn't have to mess about with dxf 2D nonsense as we would read a 3D iges file directly into the CAM package. Its exactly the type of job we want to do. What engine is it for?

It looks pretty straight forward, so if you send me an iges I'll let you know a cost.

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

thanks for the offer, I'm going to keep it in mind for sure. I just need to finish off the design, be sure it's what I want. I have at the moment drawn most of the outlines on the 2D LT cad. I need to load up the old Autocad 14 onto my computer to then extrude and make it 3d to complete. Keep in mind I only have Autocad14 and Autocad LT 2011 available to me. The fellow next to me at work has the fully version, just whether he would be cool to let me come in on a weekend to use his computer. I feel a bit sheepish to ask to be honest.

So for you to do the job you need an iges file, ie a 3D imagine of the object to be machined? I am doing a bit of reading to learn more on how the process works. Why is a dxf file nonsense? When I read up on iges it appear something I'd have to install to the Autocad software?

So you know I am not based in the UK, I'm assuming this is where you are located?

Also if you have suggestions to other or easy ways for me to get to the end goal. Ie me producing IGES file through other easy to obtain CAD programs that works too. I'm up for crash courses in CAD design! lol

Autocad R14 is a really old version, I was using it at college 12-13 years ago, it was old then. AFAIK dxf files only work in 2d, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

I think solidworks is the way forward these days.

He said dxf files will work for him and I drew a quick box and gave him the file to confirm. The problem with many of these CAD programs is how can the average guy obtain a copy. I used it in uni also about 7 years ago, but the cost of the software makes it prohibitive for the casual user! Shame you can't rent the software! Anyway I'm sure we'll figure it out. Hell if I have to I'll work out and do it all in G code, the design seems simple enough to do it, even if it takes a few nights working it all out!

I'm not sure, but you may not need a 3d model for your guy. It sounds like you could just do a traditional 2d drawing, make a dxf of it and he can just pick up the profiles dimensions from the views???? This is the "traditional" method.

But, if you need a 3D model, just send me a sketch and I'll sort it out for you as a favour. If you p.m me your email, I can send you viewer file of the model below that you can spin round etc...just for fun.

I did a quick model based on your photo. If a machine shop has the right software, this is all that is required.

vhmhead.jpg

vhmhead2.jpg

here is a dxf of the 2d made from the above model. It is literally pictures of the model from the selected view point. If a 2d is needed, this is the best way to get one as it is linked to the 3d which is easier to visualise, change and check parts fit together etc

vhmheaddxf.jpg

Hope this helps, not confuses!

Hey 4TGP that's damn impressive considering you don't have measurements to go by, as it looks very spot on proportion wise! Cheers for that! The software you used, I guess you can go back steps and change the needed dimensions till it looked right? I'll pm my email and next week get all the dimensions and 2D drawings done so you'll have something accurate to go by.

cheers again

A DXF file is a drawing exchange file. Basically it means that any type of acad program will be able to open the file for you.

For the heads I would probably use 7075 over 6081 as it is a stronger material and less likely to distort. Unfortunatley it is also more expensive and doesnt anodise as well, but it is better to machine. It would also need to be anodised as it has poor corrosion resistance.

With an IGEs file I would be surprised if you were charged more than £150 for a pair of these. The design is very simple and you would be looking at a couple of hours to machine them complete.

The software you used, I guess you can go back steps and change the needed dimensions till it looked right?

The software looks like SolidWorks .. He can change dimensions in SW no prob.

BTW nice sketch from the picture 4tgp :thumbsup:

Archived