Brake Master Cylinder

fran9r

I know it's not fashionable anymore, but I have some 6 pot calipers (PFMs), but would like an aftermarket master cylinder to do the honours with.

Any reccomendations?

If it was 4 pots I would probably have gone with Brembo, but who does stuff for 6 pots?

Ta

I've been in a similar situation, my previous 6 pots were an AP narrow track set. I tried a 16mm brembo item and the lever was just too bloody hard for my liking. I ended up going back to a standard R1 cylinder to get a bit more give in the lever and more force at the calipers.

Now I'm running 09 R1 6 pots and its exactly the same story, brembo was hard, R1 cylinder softer and resulted in more braking force for given effort, but now I've got an ISR cylinder, the 15.87mm one, the one they recommend for 4 pots, and its good, but again I've got it on its softest ratio to get the best lever feel and most braking force for the effort I'm putting in.

What I think it might come down to is the piston size in the caliper, and when companies say xx size for 6 pots (ISR recommend the next size up from what I'm using), I don't think it's always the truth.

It might be ok for some old tokico 6 pots off a zx9 or the sumitomo ones off a yzf750, but a more modern caliper will at least from my experience be fine on a smaller cylinder.

Anyway, long story short, ISR, at least it's nice and adjustable so you'll get exactly the lever feel you want.

Piston diameter isn't the whole of the story, there's a lot in the pivot point and it's leverage ratio in relation to the piston.

I'll be messing around with some PFM's soon on the 2nd P1 millenium bike, have a selection of Beringers to play with and will get back to you in time, I suspect that I'll be starting with 14mm. When we've got an answer I may be able to source a good second hand cylinder.

I'm pretty sure PT masters come in 14mm, 16mm and 19mm bore size (try pdq). I got a 16mm on the NC with 08 R6 radials and it gives very good feel and progressive stopping, I would imagine a 14mm would do the trick if more feel/travel is what your after..

Ronni

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm fed up with the excessive lever travel the 9R has as stock (or after a couple of years) so wanted the matched master clinder to the PFM stuff. Apparently 19mm is what I need -I'm going to get a Nissin radial master cylinder in that size, and see.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm fed up with the excessive lever travel the 9R has as stock (or after a couple of years) so wanted the matched master clinder to the PFM stuff. Apparently 19mm is what I need -I'm going to get a Nissin radial master cylinder in that size, and see.

If this helps, a triumph daytona 675 06-09 models (not to sure on the sizes of 09 onwards as mine was a 2007 model) uses a 19mm nissin radial master cylinder and possibly some of the other triumph range which has a radial master cylinder.

Archived