Paint Work Help......

scooby601

Last november or december I got the tank that was going to go onto my srad rebuild painted by a local body shop (normal one I used has shut down). Has been stored in the spare room on a nice soft pillow since getting it back, the only bits done have been fitting the breather and the fuel cap just after getting it back.

So today its nice and sunny and I finally get around to fitting the fuel pump and all of the other bits and bobs to connect up to the bike. Flip it over and notice this

IMG-20120111-00037.jpg

IMG-20120111-00023.jpg

Poped down to see the guy who painted it and he says it must the the red eating through? When it was dropped off to him it was in grey primer (bit tatty but he did put another coat on) so could have had red under that as the race plastics I got it with did have red on them.

TankBreather1.jpg

He has suggested that I sand it back to bare metal to see if there is any damage and then it will need repainting again from scratch, at my expense. Am half tempted to run with it as is for the summer and then get it done over winter unless anyone has any suggestions as to other ways I could solve the problem slightly more cheaply...... :eusa_pray:

Hard to see where the black is mate? Is that the underside of the tank.. Looks to me like some contamination, needs to be rubbed down again and painted.It will be ok for now, but i would get it redone while you can.Or leave it till the winter as it wont do any harm.

The white i would try and colour sand out.It does not look that deep as (I) cannot see metal showing in the picture.

Grab some 1500 grit wet n dry (+ soapy water) and rub the scratches out, then polish it up again.

:thumbsup:

Sorry, I didn't make it too clear did I!!

The bottom pic is the tank before I had it painted, just to show it wasn't too bad. The issue is at the bottom of the tank where its sits on the frame, but it also coming up the tank so can be seen when it will be fitted.

It does look to be contaminated but that wasn't a worry until the crack in the paint appeared. The only thing I can think of is without the pump fitted I tweaked it when fitting the tank bracket on the back, or some how the contamination has made the paint crack over time??

This pic should make it a bit clearer for you where it is.

IMG-20120111-00040.jpg

When it was black it looks to me like contamination.

The white looks like contamination as well mate.

Either leave it and polish the worst out or rub it down.

2 different paint types would be my guess as to why the reaction was caused.Rub it down again.Rub down the bad areas to bare metal fading out into the paint.Wipe down the whole tank with panel wipe or Acetone (nail polish remover). Then use a tack cloth to remove any other debris.

Then warm the tank while you shake the rattle can of primer. Do NOT touch the tank with your bare hands or you will contaminate it again.

Paint the tank with light coats of primer waiting 10 min's between coats. Do about 3-4 coats then take it back to your painter to finish.

Hope that helps mate.

bikecat is correct wet strip it take everything off and start again ,you need a good stripper good enough to take 2k off brush on the paint stripper and scrape off with a steal scraper get as much off as you can if you have to do it more than once do it recoat it with some more stripper then get some corse wire wool and some water and remove all the small bits that are left dry asap to stop it going rustythen wash off with gunwash to kill of the rest of the stripper rub down with a corse grit paper ie 80 to remove anything left wash off again then take it strait round to the painters let them do it if they are any good they will use the correct primer and paint for the job

Archived